All-Pitch 2009: Athletes of the Year

Paul Okeyo

WHAT HE DID:

Okeyo was named to the All-Gazette second team for football after racking up 80 tackles in his senior season. He also helped lead WJ to a 40-15 victory against Poolesville, which ended a 36-game losing streak.

WHAT’S NEXT:

School: John Carroll University (Ohio)

Athletic Plans: Will play varsity football

Intended Major: Undecided

Outlook: “I’m looking forward to the first day of hitting. I’m ready for whatever comes at me.”

Caroline Miller

WHAT SHE DID:

Miller is one of the most decorated athletes in WJ’s history. She is girls soccers’ all-time leader in goals, was honored as a NSCAA All-American and was the 2008-2009 Maryland State Player of the Year.

WHAT’S NEXT:

School: University of Virginia

Athletic Plans: Will play varsity soccer

Intended Major: Undecided

Outlook: “I just want to work hard and enjoy myself.”

Carl Yaffe

WHAT HE DID:

Yaffe spent three years on both the varsity basketball and baseball teams. As a senior on the basketball team, he averaged 19 points and nine rebounds per game, and was named second team All-Gazette.

WHAT’S NEXT:

School: New York University

Athletic Plans: Will play varsity basketball

Intended Major: Hotel and Tourism Management

Outlook: “I’m trying to make a name for myself on New York City’s basketball stage.”

Christine Walsh

WHAT SHE DID:

Walsh finished among the counties’ best this year in the hurdles earning third in the region for the 100 and third in the county for the 300. In the 300 hurdles her time was 47.55 seconds at counties.

WHAT’S NEXT:

School: Middlebury College (Vermont)

Athletic Plans: Will run varsity indoor and outdoor track

Intended Major: Double-Major in Psychology and Anthropology

Outlook: “My goal is to place in the conference championships and maybe go to nationals.”

Daniel Cohen

WHAT HE DID:

Cohen, a three-year starter on the lacrosse team, was named to the All-Gazette first team this year. He was also named first team All-Gazette ice hockey as a junior and a senior.

WHAT’S NEXT:

School: University of California, Berkeley

Athletic Plans: Will play club lacrosse

Intended Major: Business

Outlook: “I want the feeling of playing for a virtual varsity team and compete against rival teams and win a national championship.”

Tess Petesch

WHAT SHE DID:

Petesch was named first team All-Gazette leading the girls lacrosse team to the regional championship this season. She was an all-division selection the past two years. Petesch also played varsity soccer for two years.

WHAT’S NEXT:

School: Colby College (Maine)

Athletic Plans: Will play varsity lacrosse

Intended Major: Undecided

Outlook: “I’m looking forward to competing at a high level, working really hard and maybe even winning a national championship.”

0
0