Girls Basketball Finishes Regular Season Winless, Eyes Blake in Playoffs

During a trying regular season plagued by multiple injuries and a complete abscence of seniors, the Wildcat’s finished without a single win. Yet despite the difficulties, the team has faced and their ultimately disappointing record, the girls have remained optimistic. They are keeping things in perspective and are looking forward to next year.

Over the course of the season, six of players had to miss one or more games due to injury. This took a huge toll on the team’s overall performance.

The team’s leading scorer, sophomore forward Sarah Howie attributes this to their struggles.

“The injuries really hurt us this year,” said Howie. “They’ve made it so we haven’t had full strength since the first game against BCC, and we still aren’t up to full strength, so we aren’t necessarily reflecting what we could have been.”

The team seems to share the sentiment that the unfortunate amount of injuries dramatically altered the outcome of their season. They feel they could have been much more successful, had they not had to deal with this obstacle. But instead of dwelling on their misfortunes, the team is determined to turn the challenges of this year into a learning experience.

“We have learned that we can beat these teams, but to do it we must play the entire game one hundred percent, and not just play as one, to play as a team,” said junior point guard Catherine Madden.

The team has also come to know the importance of positive attitude, which has ultimately kept them going.

“Even though we haven’t won we still go into every game wanting to win and feeling a win,” said Howie. “Our attitudes have been overall very positive and we haven’t given up.”

In addition to maintaining an impressive morale, the girls are already beginning to make goals for next year.

“I think that this year was definitely a building year, and I think that everything that we have learned this year, we will put together next year and hopefully have a better reflection of how we can really play,” said Howie. “We want to win of course, but we also want to grow as players and as a team, and hopefully play a very good season.’”

Although it was an arguable weakness this season, next year the team will have a surplus of experienced upperclassmen to carry the team, including seven returning seniors and three juniors. So while they may have paid their dues this past season, next year’s veteran team should be a force to be reckoned with.

0
0