Boys Vollyball Reloads after Undefeated Regular Season

Over the past two and half years, modernization has torn down and built up the athletic facilities at WJ. This spring has marked the boys volleyball team’s first season playing in the new gym. Unfortunately, the gym has come with a price: a giant metal beam installed across the middle of the court, which has presented a problem for setters.

“According to my count, the ball hit the beam seven times during a practice game,” said coach Sylvie Ellen. “It really creates a problem for the setter because it’s right above the net.”

While the beam has presented itself as an issue, there have been no indications made that it will be fixed anytime soon.

“The referees have issues with it, and the players have issues with it because it gives the other team an advantage,” said Ellen. “We sort of have to adjust to that [metal beam].”

The volleyball team, which lost six seniors from last year’s undefeated regular season team, will rely heavily on the play of their new players to lead them back to the playoffs.

“We are getting better everyday,” said junior co-captain and setter Jeremy Lee. “We are showing a lot of potential.”

The team has made new additions to fill the gaps left by the graduating seniors, including junior defensive specialists Nick Taylor and Alex Ali, junior outside hitter Jacob Schneider, middle hitters senior Henry Tollefson and junior Dimitrios Rizos will make the transition from coed volleyball in order to help a boys team which otherwise lacks depth. Co-captain junior Jeremy Lee is the team’s only returning starter.Freshman Raul Silva, younger brother of last year’s stand out senior Victor Silva, and freshman Felipe Corte are other key additions to the team.

The team opened the season with a win at Rockville on March 23, and will look for another win tonight against Wootton at WJ.

*WJ at Churchill on March 25 occurred too late to cover.

0
0