Cross Country: Running to the Top

Returning from an incredible and unexpected season, the cross country runners had their engines revved as August workouts took place. After a long year and a strenuous off-season, 2008 Gazette Coach of the Year Tom Martin spent all summer trying to build a stronger, faster and better team.

By adding more repetitions, harder drills and longer free runs, it was evident that the team was building a path to victory, but first they had to run on it. The mentality was no longer, “if you get cut from something else, come run for us to get in shape.” Martin had established a new attitude from his squad: repeat as state champions.

On Sept. 4, as the determined team made their way to the front of the stands during the pep rally, senior captains Sean O’Leary and Ishan Dey heard the same introduction for the fourth time in their cross country reign.

“Give it up for the fastest team in WJ, the cross country team!” said SGA president Tristan Plunkett.

But after that welcoming intro, the defending state champions heard a familiar noise: silence.

“It’s kind of sad how nobody really knows how good we are and how much harder we work than any other team, but that’s okay,” said O’Leary. “It’s fulfilling enough to retort a snappy, ‘how many state titles has your team won recently?’ to the naysayers.”

While one would think the lack of fans and pride would be a motivation factor, this has never stopped the team from keeping their eye on the prize.

“I don’t mind that anybody really knows about cross country,” said junior Alex Willett. “I will still try my best to represent WJ in meets whether people are there to cheer or not.”

Four weeks and seven races later, the team remains strong as they seek back-to-back state championships. Key victories came against rival Churchill, taking six of the top 10 spots, and winning their annual meet at Whitman, also taking six of the top 10 spots (Northwest also competed). The team is currently 7-1, their only loss coming at Octoberfest in Plains, Va. After taking seven of the top 10 spots against Sherwood on Oct. 6, Walter Johnson has officially clinched the division.

Also doing extremely well is the girls team, led by 2008 Gatorade Maryland State Girls Runner of the year and defending state champion junior Anna Bosse.

“I think more people are paying attention to us because of last year’s success with the boys winning states, girls finishing fifth place and Mr. Martin winning coach of the year,” said Bosse.

The girls finished second at Howard County Invitational and won at home against Damascus.

A second state championship for the boys is clearly in the sights, but the team currently has its heart set on something else: Nike Cross Nationals in Oregon this December.

In order to earn a spot at nationals, the team will have to climb the standings into one of the top two spots. The girls team is currently unranked in the region and the boys, who were ranked fourth in the preseason rankings, have fallen to tenth after losing at Octoberfest.

With this kind of momentum the team is sure to go far, but the question is, how far can they go?  While any serious competition in the county remains unseen, the team is currently a sure favorite to bring another championship back to Bethesda.  The varsity will head north for the weekend to compete at the Manhattan Invitational this Saturday, Oct. 12, in New York.

0
0