Girls Soccer: A turn around the corner

The varsity girls soccer team has won three straight games after starting the season shaky at 0-4-1. The team improved its record to 3- 4-1 after beating and shutting out Northwest on Oct. 8 2-0 with goals from senior co-captain Chaucia Sydnor and senior co-captain Catherine Madden. The team also got a stand out performance by junior goalie Jessica Goldstone who stopped Northwest on a breakaway and finished the night with seven saves.

The team hopes that the win against Northwest will help them turn the corner on the season as they get ready to head down the last month of the season and into playoffs.

During these past three games, the team has been working together as a unit, according to sophomore forward Dani Armstrong.

“The team isn’t just based on one person who scores all the goals but the goal scoring has been spread out among all different players,” said Armstrong.

Coach Liz Friedman had the same outlook as she noted that one of the strengths of the team is that everyone stands out for the team and there has not been any definitive MVP.

“We have many ‘go-to’ players, not just one. Everyone gets involved and everyone contributes,” said Friedman.

The team looks to continue their winning record to four games on Tuesday, Oct. 20 against Magruder as they try to finish the end of the season strong. Although the tough start of the season has hurt the Wildcats, they look to get hot down the stretch in order to make a playoff run. 

“They are capable of winning the rest of their regular season games,they are capable of making it to the regional finals and on to states,” said Freidman. “It’s up to them if they want to make it happen.”

0
0