Softball: Season Update

After beginning the season with a 15-5 win against Rockville, the softball team has gone through its ups and downs, posting a 7-11 regular season record.

“We are playing some great softball which isn’t truly reflected in our 7-11 record,” said head coach Jamie Ahearn.

While the team has won five games by five or more runs, twice winning by a score of 15-5, they also have recorded some bad losses. Following an 8-1 win against Einstein, the team fell to Richard Montgomery 0-10 in six innings and fell to rival Whitman 5-15 last week. Although the team is pleased with their success so far, they are still struggling to establish team chemistry and consistency.

“I think that consistency is the key to winning more games,” said sophomore pitcher Bethany Buel. “Sometimes we lack consistency at the plates.  Sometimes we hit the ball hard and score runs, and other games we can’t make much contact with the ball and come up short.”

Despite not being completely satisfied with the way their regular season ended, the team is still very focused and prepared for the playoffs.

“We are pushing each other to get through the first round of the playoffs,” said Ahearn.

The team’s first playoff game will be this Thursday, May 11.  Brackets will be posted at http://www.mpssaa.org/springsports/softball/.

0
0