Girls Basketball vs. Wootton

The WJ girls basketball team improved to a 6-2 record with their 43-26 victory over Wootton on Tuesday night.

The Wildcats went into Tuesday’s game against Wootton at 5-2 and in need of a win against the struggling Patriots. Wootton had performed better than their 2-7 record suggests, losing close games against Quince Orchard and Sherwood.  The Wildcats, on the other hand, have been in superb form all season with solid victories over Clarksburg and Quince Orchard on their resume.

WJ started off the game fast with an 8-0 advantage. The Wildcat’s high-pressure, scrappy defense hampered Wootton’s offense. By the end of the first quarter, the WJ defense held Wooton to a measly three points. The beginning of the third quarter saw junior Leemor Banai hit a big three pointer to keep the Wildcats’ momentum going. However, the Wildcats could manage no more points until late in the quarter. Wooton hit several three-pointers to keep WJ’s lead at 20-14 going into the half.

The second half yielded a slow start for both teams as they struggled offensively. The third quarter continued in a back and forth fashion with the WJ-lead hovering consistently around seven points. The quarter ended  at 30-23 with WJ in the lead.

Consitent defense and disciplined offense allowed WJ to pull away from Wooton. The quarter was highlighted by Kristen Larrick’s tremendous block and then storming up court to receive a pass and ultimately sinking the layup. WJ rode that momentum to a 43-26 win.

WJ coach Lindsey Zegowitz said, “[The key] to beating Wooton was [picking] up our defense and [stopping] their shooters.”

They certainly did both of these, with Wooton’s offense failing to get into the game and WJ’s defense consistently forcing turnovers.

Zegowitz also noted that with strong post presence and good outside shooting, “[WJ] gives teams match-up problems.”

Going forward, the team will be looking to count on its relentless defense and solid, well rounded offense to continue to be successful this season.

0
0