What’s more important, USWeekly or U.S. Weekly?

Whats more important, USWeekly or U.S. Weekly?
Courtesy of Adriana Del Grosso

Miley Cyrus twerking at the VMAs, Amanda Bynes going to rehab or Kim Kardashian in general: these are all incidents that get enormous amounts of press coverage, while events like the Syria conflict, nuclear waste leaking from Iran and gay rights in Russia have taken a backseat. Now, I’m sure celebrities have important things to say, like “Don’t overdose when you’re 12” and “Watch my sextape!” However, I think that maybe we as a society should focus on more important topics like world news and global conflicts.

What’s the difference between a celebrity and a regular person? According to UsWeekly “Stars-They’re Just Like US!” They buy food, they breathe air and they are human, however they are somehow more important because they are “talented” and attractive. As a society we hold these people up on a pedestal and watch their inevitable downfall into drugs and DUIs.

While I like to watch a good trainwreck every once in a while, gossip and tabloids cause us to ignore the serious news that is going on in the world. Conversations about news with my friends revolves around the most recent celebrity gossip, while if I try to talk about the Syrian conflict, they remain speechless. Not because they are shocked, but because they are ignorant.

It’s important we learn about the status of the world around us, because this is what will shape the future of the country and our lives, but if we focus on the lives of stars then we ignore what actually matters to our existence. Russia is taking away the rights of people with different sexual preferencess and another war for the U.S.could cause serious reprecusions. It’s ridiculous how much news there is that can be reported on, how much is going on, and yet it is overshadowed by tabloids and popculture in the media.

I’m not saying that I hate celebrities, but I do think they are simply getting more attention then they deserve for doing absolutely nothing substantial for the world; and no, Ryan Gosling’s face does not count. I think whenever a celebrity with an enourmous amount of money donates a large amount or provides services to underprivileged people, then perhaps that deserves more attention than normal, but not when they tip a waiter.

Another thing that makes stars so unimportant is that they are around for a few years and then fade into obscurity, leaving no trace on society and nothing of substance behind. Even iconic ones such as Charlie Chaplin and Marilyn Monroe will become irrelevant in a few decades. Can the same be said for world events? The American Civil War happened over 140 years ago and is still taught in school and is relevant to our society. Of course, that’s an American war so it has value to us, but what about the USSR’s rise and fall? It doesn’t directly involve us in its entire history, yet we talk about it today because the present and past will shape the future.

As the saying goes, celebrities only have 15  minutes of fame, and after that they fade away and are never heard of again. Knowing this, we should stop focusing so much on their every move and instead work on learning about current events and making the world a better place.

0
0