Women’s History Month: why it deserves more recognition

Rhea Noumair
Women (like Ruth Bader Ginsberg) fought for women’s rights and made a huge difference in our world. Honoring those women and their outstanding achievements is neccessary.

March is often associated with being the third month of the year, the start of spring, Saint Patrick’s Day, Easter and the time flowers start blooming. However, there is a much more important matter that March should be recognized for: Women’s History Month.

Many people don’t even know that there is a Women’s History Month, let alone when it takes place. It was established in 1978, and since then, there has been very little done to recognize Women’s achievements, especially in the WJ community.

It is also very important to have assemblies supporting all disadvantaged groups. While not discrediting the achievements of groups who have made outstanding changes and improvements, if as a school we have assemblies to show our appreciation for some, why isn’t there one for Women’s History Month?

For example, in September, we had a Hispanic Heritage Month Assembly to promote the diverse and lively aspects of Hispanic and Latin cultures. In February, we had a Black History Month assembly which brought everyone together to hear about the outstanding achievements in history and different aspects of culture. While not the same, recognition should also exist in March and many other students agree. When asked about the recognition here at WJ, students didn’t have anything to say.

“I think Women’s History Month is great and I am in full support of it, but I don’t know what they do for it at [WJ]. I think there should be an event because the lack of women’s rights was a big issue in our country for a long time,” senior Jonah Levy said.

Even something small can make a difference. Curriculums aren’t always representative of all societal groups, so anything to bring awareness to something that applies to 49.6% of our population is necessary.

“I have heard from friends at other schools in this area that there were clubs who had events to support women and the events were actually really interesting and impactful. One club had a fundraiser and another just had a presentation type of meeting,” senior Jessie Berkman said.

At the Smithsonian, numerous events are taking place in honor of women’s history including trivia night, an opportunity to listen to women and music and even a chance to make baskets, all free of charge but serve an empowering purpose. These are the types of events that would benefit our school community. One of our many clubs at our school should have events and meetings related to Women’s History Month especially clubs that are about empowering women.

Women have made a large impact on the world including creating the very thing that keeps you warm when you drive to school and the software of the computer you use every day at school. It is important to advocate for the accomplishments of women. The school community should support the contributions of women in historical events and in today’s society.

0
0