• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

The Death of Retail

Photo by Lucas Gillespie
The famous Tastee Diner appears dwarfed under the recent construction of Marriott’s new headquarters. Originally planning to close after the construction began, the Tastee Diner has remained open throughout the work process.
  • A store sits vacant in Montgomery Mall. As more and more mainstream businesses move in, it gets harder for smaller stores to remain open.

• Customers visit the Apple store in Montgomery Mall. Large corporations like Apple are at the top of the retail food chain, with hoards of customers bringing in revenue every day.

• Destination Maternity advertises a store-wide sale ahead of its closure in Montgomery Mall. After filing for bankruptcy in October 2019, the maternal wear retailer has begun to shut down almost 200 stores nationwide.

• Currently under redevelopment, Hawkers, an asian street food hall, is planning to open up in Bethesda Row later this year. The occupied space has been two other restaurants before, all of which have moved out.

• A display case sits empty at the former Claire Dratch store in Bethesda. After closing the Bethesda store in April 2018, the company made its official announcement in May, citing the death of the stores namesake as the reason for its closure.

• As more and more people shop online, businesses find it harder and harder to make ends meet. With a mix of high rents and no customers, many are forced to close up shop.

• A store sits vacant on Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda. Much of the surrounding area is being redeveloped into multistory residential buildings, driving out the smaller businesses.

• The former Ranger Surplus store in Bethesda sits empty. The army supply store has been closed since January 31st, 2014.

• Bethesda Valet, a former laundry service, has sat empty since July 2016 after announcing its closure. The space is currently awaiting redevelopment.

• The famous Tastee Diner appears dwarfed under the recent construction of Marriott’s new headquarters. Originally planning to close after the construction began, the Tastee Diner has remained open throughout the work process.

6
0
$940
$1000