Afropop: Its sudden rise and revolutionary impact

Photo courtesy of The Native Mag
Some of the biggest Afro Pop songs today include “Love Nwantiti” (2019) by Ckay, “Essence” (2021) by Wizkid, “Peru” (2022) by Fireboy DML (featuring Ed Sheeran), and “Comma” (2020) by Burna Boy. The biggest stars in the world of Afropop include the likes of Ckay, Wizkid, and Burna Boy.

Afropop, also known as Afrobeat, is just the latest genre to take the music world by storm. It may not have the rambunctious noise of rock ‘n’ roll or the glittery style of R&B, two of the most popular and long-standing genres of music, but it offers something more, something different than older music styles.

Afropop has a certain kind of swagger and vibe that has much of the world entranced with this unique aspect of African heritage. Perhaps a key to Afropop’s sudden popularity lies in its mix of several sounds from all over Africa, drawing inspiration from music from the Ivory Coast, Egypt, Senegal and even African communities in London.

Despite this, Afropop has not yet reached the popularity and prestige of the aforementioned genres but as Senior Leo Dobosz points out,

“Afropop is a rising genre in music that dips in and out of mainstream music and music.” Yet there is much hope that the authenticity and originality of this new brand of African music will climb the ladder and earn its place side by side with the other giants of the industry.”

Junior Leo Macdonald has recently gotten into Afropop and has noted what makes the genre so unique.

“The beat has a certain flow, and the linguistics create crazy methods of setting up rhyme schemes to make catchy hooks,” Macdonald said.

It’s these characteristics that have made the world fall under Afrobeat’s spell and attracted some of the business’s biggest stars.

Drake is a world-famous artist that amassed 8.6 billion streams on online platforms in 2021 alone, making him the most streamed artist in the world.

Working with Afropop star Wizkid, the Canadian rapper released “One Dance,” a track that topped the charts. The duo also collaborated to produce “Come Closer” on Wizkid’s album “Sounds from the Other Side”, a track that has so far sold half a million units.

Beyoncé is considered by most to be a cultural icon and, though she has lightened up her musical output, she is still revered and respected by many.

Recently, she has reinvented herself and kept more in touch with her African heritage, participating in a live-action remake of the Disney film “The Lion King” (2019) and producing music for said movie.

Beyoncé worked with several household names from the Afrobeat scene like Burna Boy, Wizkid, Tiwa Savage, Mr. Eazi, Shatta Wale, Major Lazor and Tekno to produce this vibrant dance album. Though the entrance of stars like Beyoncé and Drake has been credited as the cause for the upturn in interest in Afrobeat, others think it’s due to other factors.

Junior Kidus Gidey has listened to Afropop for several years and thinks that the sudden spike in popularity is due to local efforts.

“I think it [Afropop’s popularity increasing] is because the African youth in the West are diving into their roots and spreading it,” Gidey said.

Combining several popular genres like rap and EDM, Afrobeat has taken African culture around the world, and its driving force is the youth of the world’s second most-populated continent.

The future of African music seems to be bright. Intriguing mass audiences from every corner of the world, it has even inspired and influenced some of the world’s most popular and established artists. With its merry vibe and exotic reverberations, it continues to evolve and bring joy to millions and introduce newcomers to a new culture and environment.

2
1