Girls’ soccer falls to Bulldogs, finishes season 6-6-1

Courtesy Andy Avillo
The team huddles for the final time during half-time to discuss strategy for the second half. With a score of 0-0, the Cats were working to elevate their offensive play. “I absolutely loved the competitive fire in the team and their strong desire to work hard in practice and carry that over to games. They craved hard work, and that is also on of my favorite parts of coaching WJ. The work ethic of this team is amazing,” coach Neil Gottlieb said.

The girls’ varsity soccer team fell to Churchill 2-1 on Wednesday, Oct. 25, losing 6-7 on penalty kicks. This was the first WJ penalty-kick tie-breaker since 2002, when they lost to Severna Park in the state semifinals. Nevertheless, senior Emily Akpebu scored the first goal of the game for the final time as a Wildcat in the 58th minute, assisted by senior Adena Nielsen.

“Knowing that the goal I scored in our last game against Churchill in playoffs was the last goal that I will score for WJ is a very bittersweet feeling, but I am still super proud of what our team did this year,” Akpebu said.

While the team is upset they lost, they have lots of sweet memories during their time together this season and previous seasons.

“I will miss being able to play with such amazing people. WJ soccer has allowed me to meet and play with so many people, and I am going to miss playing with them every day,” senior goalie Federica Gavelli said.

With a new coach, a new team dynamic and new players, the Cats focused on their chemistry together, working out plays and communicating with each other. Most importantly, they focused on having a positive attitude towards the game and each other. With practices five to six days a week, the Cats have worked diligently to better their game and mindsets for this season and seasons to come.

“The most important thing for this team is that everyone needs to come into games and practices with a positive mindset. I also learned to just have fun and enjoy the moment because it won’t last forever,” freshman goalie Chloe Russ said.

As aforementioned, the Cats were determined to better themselves and each other throughout the season, fighting for every win in the book.

“My favorite game this year was probably our game against Northwest because it was my first game back from my concussion and almost every player was able to play and make an actual difference in the game. It wasn’t a blowout game so every player that went on the field truly worked hard and made a difference in the game,” Gavelli said.

As players think about their seasons representing WJ, they reflect on the coaching and how the advice and experiences went beyond the sport.

“Thanks to my coaches and teammates I’ve developed more leadership skills and learned to have real dedication for something, which are things I hope to take with me when I play in college,” senior captain Irene Sanchez-Burgueno said.

Coach Neil Gottlieb also reflected on his first year coaching the girls’ soccer team. Although his overarching goal at the beginning of the season was to win regionals and states, he is proud of everything the team has accomplished and thankful for the welcoming environment of the soccer team and school in general.

“I learned that the WJ school community is amazing. The support from the school and the parents is amazing…WJ has amazing athletes who truly understand what it takes to be a student-athlete. I have not seen such fantastic grades across an entire team before, which speaks to their approach to school and sports,” Gottlieb said.

I always tell seniors that life goes super fast. Work hard and enjoy today; don’t try to rush time. That is for both soccer and life in general. Never forget that the most important part of life is simply showing up and doing your best, whatever that is. If you show up, great things can happen.”

— coach Neil Gottlieb

As the seniors move on to continue their academic and athletic careers in college, Gottlieb hopes WJ soccer has prepared them for both the physical and mental challenges in college sports and academics.

“I always tell seniors that life goes super fast. Work hard and enjoy today; don’t try to rush time. That is for both soccer and life in general. Never forget that the most important part of life is simply showing up and doing your best, whatever that is. If you show up, great things can happen,” Gottlieb said.

Many seniors plan to continue their soccer careers in college. Akpebu plans to play soccer for the University of West Virginia, Gavelli plans to play soccer for Northeastern University and Sanchez-Burgueno plans to play soccer for Johns Hopkins University. The girls plan to take with them what they learned as a Wildcat.

“One thing WJ soccer has taught me that I will take with me into college soccer is to laugh at my mistakes once they’re over. This has really helped me have more fun while playing and has allowed me not to dwell on something that I can’t change, but instead work hard for the next play,” Gavelli said.

Other players are excited to continue representing the Wildcats with hope for the future.

“I am most looking forward to being a leader on the team and becoming a role model for the players that come into the program in the future years,” Russ said.

1
0