WJ Mock Trial Competes for School Pride

Each year, WJ’s two mock trial teams face off; Steve Miller’s team versus Nathan Schwartz’s team, but for the first time in four years, on Feb. 20 Schwartz’s team won by four points.  The win was a huge morale boost for the team and as well created healthy competition between the rivals who face off against each other for school pride and as well as a chance to make it to the county playoffs.

This year’s case consisted of a fictional civil case (though it may have been based off a real case) in which a college student went to a concert, was restrained by security guards and ended up paralyzed from the neck down. The dispute is over whether she resisted and contributed to her own injury or if the guards and the concert venue were negligent in their treatment of her.  Testimony was given from the student, her friend and a doctor on her side, known as the plaintiff side. The defense consisted of another opposing doctor, the main security guard and the pavilion manager.

Schwartz’s team presented the plaintiff’s case with senior Elizabeth Winter, senior Maddy Goldberg, and junior Jimmy Wydercko acting as lawyers, and senior Talia Skolnick, senior Dany Molayem and freshman Reka Illei playing the roles of the witnesses. Miller’s team acted as the defense with lawyers senior Sameen Belal, senior Kevin Riba, and senior Caroline Steel, and witnesses included senior Rebecca Lerner and junior Alex Miljanic.

The trial took place in a real courtroom at the Rockville Courthouse. Within each individual trial, the verdict of the case does not necessarily determine who wins the trial. The winner is the team that argues the case in the best way. The team that wins the case is the team that essentially puts on the best performance. Lawyers are scored based on the value of their direct and cross examinations of the witnesses and their control of the witnesses.  Witnesses are scored based on their answers. Opening and closing arguments also contribute to scoring.

“We have a slight rivalry [with Miller’s team]  just because we are two different teams who compete against each other every year on the same case,” said Goldberg, a lawyer for team Schwartz.

“[Winning] felt fine. The students are much more competitive than I am. I just like it when they do a good job, that’s a victory for me,” said Schwartz.

“The win with miller was mostly pride, but it did enable us to get into the playoffs by giving us our first win,” said Goldberg. Both teams end record was 2-2, and so they will both be entered in a draw to potentially go to playoffs. There are four total trials for each season, the plaintiff and defense teams split the trials and each competes in two.  Depending on a team’s record they have the ability to qualify and compete in to playoffs. In playoff matches, teams only move on if they win, and can eventually reach the state finals. Schwartz’s team was entered and won in the draw and are now moving on to playoffs to compete against Poolesville. Miller’s team was not successful in the draw and will not be moving on.

“Next year maybe we will lose. It’s the process that makes it a good experience,” said Schwartz.

0
    0