Environmental Club prepares for Earth Day

WJ’s Environmental Club was created many years ago by students who wanted to improve the quality of the environment. With Earth Day coming up, the club has big plans to celebrate. At meetings throughout the year, members have discussed what activities they can participate in that would benefit the environment.

Patricia Tierney, Biology and AP Environmental Science teacher, has been the sponsor of the Environmental Club for five years. The club consists of about twenty active members.

“The members of the club try to come up with activities that the whole club can do, mostly educational kinds of activities,” Tierney said.

The Environmental Club has meetings once a week in Ms. Tierney’s room to talk about what they plan to do in order to help the environment in their community.

“One of the ideas that we almost started was onsite composting. A lot of the other things are finding school activities like finding rallies or invasive weed pulling events or cleanups,” Tierney said.

Senior and Environmental Club member Jennifer Ye is excited to participate in their Earth Day plans.

“We are planning to have a fair in the commons during lunch with a bunch of posters and activities,” Ye said.

Throughout the year, the Environmental Club participates in smaller events that strive to help improve the environment.

“We do some small projects throughout the year such as collecting plastic bags, but our main event is on Earth Day,” Ye said.

This week’s meeting was special because Earth Day is coming up. The Environmental Club strives to do whatever they can to better the Earth.

“On Earth Day, we have a fair down at the student commons where different students present information about different environmental issues,” Tierney said.

Many people don’t realize how poorly they treat the environment, which is why the club feels it is so crucial for the environmental club to demonstrate the importance of protecting the Earth.

“It’s important to take a step back and recognize the impact we have on our surroundings,” Ye said.

0
    0