Halloween 2009: Costume Party or Costume Parade?

Halloween, with all its uproar about which costume to wear, can get very confusing. Many people wonder: what party should I attend? What should I wear? How much candy will I get?

And should I just take one piece of candy like the sign says? To help you choose whether to hop in your friend’s car off to a party or to get your candy bag ready, here are some pros and cons to help you decide how to have a great Halloween.

Choice 1: Attending a Halloween Costume Party

Attending a Halloween party means there’s tons of fun and excitement. Everyone is dressed up in different costumes. Halloween isn’t just about the candy, it’s about the fun-terror, excitement and creative ways to dress up.

At a party, there’s bound to be party favors and music to give it a real Halloween feel. Once the guests start arriving, the music starts playing and the dancing begins. You can also expect games, and because it’s Halloween, the festivities are limitless; with the amount of people attending the party, having a good time is a given.

“It’s fun and there are a lot of people to chill with,” said junior Gabe Davidson.

Even though some students have Halloween plans, like senior Steven Meza, they still manage to make their way to a party.

“I’m going to a Terror Mansion,” said Meza. “Then, off to a party because it’s the most fun thing to do to have fun with friends.”

Although attending a party sounds like one of the greatest things possible, there are still risks involved with going to one.

“It may be a bad environment,” said Davidson. “Illegal things may be happening.”

With the amount of people attending the party, things might get a little chaotic, with underage drinking, illegal drugs, fights breaking out and even a visit from the cops. It’s risky for the guests attending and even more so for the host of the party. Unwanted guests can cause a disturbance, or if the music is too loud, neighbors can complain. If the police do come, there can be serious consequences for underage drinkers.

“It’s more dangerous going to a Halloween party because you never know what people are going to do there,” said sophomore Ellise Rudt. “There’s a possibility of ‘bad’ things happening.”

Choice 2: Going Trick-or-Treating

Trick-or-treating never gets old; the idea of getting a big bag full of free candy is the best reason to go around your neighborhood with your friends. There are tons of neighborhoods to choose from, and the number of houses is endless. Trick-or-treating is a big part of Halloween, and almost everyone gets their candy ready to give to trick-or-treaters. Also, not only are the people trick-or-treating dressed up, but the people giving out candy love to join in the costume fun as well. It’s always a good time when people get into the Halloween spirit, decorating their houses with spider webs and tombstones for a spooky Halloween effect.

“It’s fun to walk around with friends getting as much candy possible,” said Rudt.

Trick-or-treating is a great tradition but as we get older, it may seem a little boring and childish. Being a teenager surrounded by little kids and their parents isn’t quite the typical idea of fun. Another factor could be the weather – it could be freezing or rainy outside, which can dampen the Halloween spirit.

The older you get, the more mischief adults expect from you. Sometimes they might not even give you candy because you look too old. Then there’s the actual mischief people partake in, like doorbell ringing or egging houses, which gives teens a bad rep.

“It could be dangerous if you go alone to a bad neighborhood,” said Meza. “Going with a group of friends is good, but [it’s] not always the safest. You don’t know what to expect from some home owners.”

Even if your trick-or-treating crowd isn’t doing anything illegal, just a little bit of goofing around can cause a lot of trouble.

“I was with my friends when we attempted to take a ‘take one’ basket and a lady caught us and threatened to call the police,” said Davidson.

Whether you decide to chill with friends at a party, go trick-or-treating and load up on candy, or just stay home and hand out sweets, there are numerous appealing and unappealing aspects to both. While it may be fun to drink and dance with friends at a party, bad things can happen and the consequences can be severe. Trick-or-treating is always a blast, but some may find it childish and boring. Just remember, Halloween is a holiday about fun, friends and candy, so use these tips to help make your Halloween the best one yet.

0
0