Venting about VAR: Technology in Sports

We’re reaching the last stride in the season of most international soccer leagues. It’s gameweek 34 out of 38 in the Premier League and it’s the first leg of the UEFA Champions League Semi-Finals. Despite VAR (Video Assistant Referee) being implemented as early as the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, it is still the cause of debate among fans and teams.

VAR was introduced to assist on-field referees in making accurate decisions during crucial junctures of a football match. The VAR team monitors the game remotely on multiple screens and has real-time access to video footage of the match through multiple camera angles. Essentially, its main purpose was to minimize human error.

However, many controversial calls have come from VAR since its implementation, frustrating both fans and teams. These checks and decisions happen after play has already resumed or progressed, making it tough for the main referees to interrupt play and “run it back.” Because of this, many calls are rushed and controversial calls are made.

On April 22, in the FA Cup, an English tournament between the top two leagues in England, Manchester United (Premier League) played against Coventry City (Championship) in the Semi-Finals. After 90 minutes and added time, the game went to extra time with a score of 3-3. Coventry came back after going 3-0 down to a team in a league above them. At this point in the game, almost everyone watching, including United fans, was rooting for Coventry.

In the 121 minute, the second half of extra time, Victor Torp scored and made it 4-3 to Coventry. It should have sent them to the finals to play against Manchester City; however, VAR intervened. They found Coventry player Haji Wright offside relative to Manchester United wing-back, Aaron Wan-Bissaka. This was complete nonsense.

The line to indicate Wan Bissaka being offsides had crossed his body, unlike how it was drawn on Wright’s which was drawn past his body. This makes a difference considering the margin was so minimal without it. Coventry went on to lose in penalties.

VAR really depends on who is running it. It was introduced to reduce human error but the fact is now match officials are more transparent with their human error. In competitions including multiple divisions such as the FA Cup, the “Big Six” teams are more favored than the smaller clubs that managed to put up a good fight against them. The fact of the matter is that United played terribly, and Coventry was able to capitalize on it and prove themselves. They deserved to win and it isn’t right that they were shorted.

VAR has made some rough decisions that are ruining “The Beautiful Game.” What was proposed as a solution, has now become a problem.

0
0