Pick-By-Pick NFL Draft Grades

On April 26, round one of the NFL Draft was completed. As usual, some picks were expected, and others made fans scratch their heads. Highlighted by the anti-climactic top selections of quarterbacks Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin, the first round included a record high 16 traded picks. For a better understanding of how well teams filled their holes, here are pick-by-pick grades for the top 10 selections:

1.       Indianapolis Colts- Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Grade: A

It’s rare for a team to find a legitimate franchise quarterback, which is why it is beyond belief that the Colts just grabbed their second in a row. The quick deterioration of Peyton Manning’s health could not have come at a better time, as the Colts will yet again be in possesion of a once-in-a-generation talent. Luck is a sure bet to thrive considering his superior game management skills and accuracy.

2.       Washington Redskins (via trade w/ St. Louis)- Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Grade: A

Unlike Indianapolis, the Redskins have lacked any player reminiscent of a legitimate starting quarterback for the past decade. It was essential for them to grab a player like Griffin. With his remarkable arm strength and impressive speed, look for Griffin to become one of the league’s top playmakers while rejuvenating the Washington fan base in the process.

3.       Cleveland Browns (via trade w/ Minnesota)- Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

Grade: B

Although it cost them three mid-to-late round picks, Cleveland got their guy at slot three. Due to Peyton Hillis’ injury history, they have had their eye on Richardson, and for good reason. Richardson possesses terrific explosiveness and the quickness to elude defenders.

4.       Minnesota Vikings (via trade w/ Cleveland)- Matt Kalil, OT, USC

Grade: C

The Vikings took the route of picking based on need, which was not the correct path. LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne has an obvious edge in talent over Kalil and could have dramatically aided Minnesota’s efforts to stop a strong coup of division rival wide receivers. Kalil will improve Minnesota’s spotty offensive line but won’t dominate to the expected degree of a top-five pick.

5.       Jacksonville Jaguars (via trade w/ Tampa Bay)- Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma St

Grade: A

Jacksonville desperately needed help in their passing game. The league’s worst passing offense produced only 136.2 yards per game and endured the struggles of rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert. Blackmon provides a legitimate deep threat and will help stretch the field for pro bowl running back Maurice Jones-Drew.

6.       Dallas Cowboys (via trade w/ St. Louis)- Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

Grade: A

Probably the biggest steal of the draft, Dallas paired the 14th overall pick with a second rounder to move up and grab one of the most talented players in the draft. Dallas needed to patch up their secondary in order to compete with division foes Michael Vick, Eli Manning and Robert Griffin.

7.       Tampa Bay Buccaneers (via trade w/ Jacksonville)- Mark Barron, Safety, Alabama

Grade: A

The Bucs got a stud in Barron, a great value at the eight pick. The 213-pound safety can really lay the wood and will strike fear into opposing receivers. He’ll fill the spot left by departed safety Tanard Jackson who failed to live up to expectations.

8.       Miami Dolphins- Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

Grade: D

Miami committed a huge reach with the selection of Tannehill. The former wide receiver has only 19 games of experience at the quarterback position, and simply doesn’t dazzle enough to warrant even a top 20 pick. Miami could have traded down or just waited until a later round to get a better value such as Arizona St quarterback Brock Osweiler.

9.       Carolina Panthers- Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College

Grade: B

After solidifying their offense in last year’s draft, it was time for Carolina to shift their attention to the defense. Kuechly is by far the best LB in the draft and should end up establishing himself as a pro-bowler. The only question is when. Kuechly plays the same position as Carolina’s best defender and captain Jon Beason. It will take another Beason injury for Kuechly to see the field anytime soon.

10.   Buffalo Bills- Stephon Gilmore, DB, South Carolina

Grade: D

Buffalo was smart in that they attempted to bolster their defense, but they added the wrong player. Gilmore is a ball hawk and nothing more. Buffalo’s secondary already consists of such players, thus Gilmore adds nothing to a struggling defense. In fact, what they really need is a true cover corner.

0
0