Pitch Picks: Summer Movies

<Funny People >>

Judd Apatow, who wrote and directed under-the-radar comedic blockbusters The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up, returns as the writer and director of the film Funny People, which comes out on July 31.

The film centers around a famous stand-up comedian named George Simmons (Adam Sandler), who figures out he is close to death. Simmons then meets an up-and-coming young comedian (Seth Rogen) and takes him under his wing. Apatow casts regulars of his previous films, including Jonah Hill and Leslie Mann, who happens to be his wife. The film has been getting considerable buzz, probably due to how well-received Apatow’s previous two films were. This film, however, is considered darker than the previous two, as Apatow is discussing the delicate issue of death. It is ambitious to say the least, but if Apatow’s attempt at dramedy is successful, then this film is definitely worth seeing. -I.G.

<< Food, Inc. >>

After seeing Food, Inc., you’ll be guaranteed never to look at grocery shopping the same way. Robert Kenner, director of the documentary, reveals the harsh truth behind the industry’s food production and the deceiving advertising that lies about where  food is actually produced. In reality, consumers are being subjected to food that is mainly produced by factories and contaminated by pesticides, which could be detrimental to their health. With illnesses skyrocketing among Americans each year, those genetically engineered products may be to blame.

Coming June 19 (D.C.), Food, Inc. will expose the secrets behind modern food production and cause you to hesitate at your next visit to the grocery store. -C.M.

<Taking Woodstock >>

Based on the autobiography Taking Woodstock: A True Story of a Riot, Concert and a Life by Elliot Tiber and Tom Monte, Taking Woodstock follows Tiber (Demetri Martin), a man working at his parents’ motel in Catskills, as he helps make possible the Woodstock Festival of 1969. With Tiber’s parents possessing the only musical festival permit in the entire town of Bethel, N.Y., Tiber offers both the motel, as well as the permit, to the Woodstock Festival organizers. Little does Tiber know, he will provide the foundation for a musical phenomenon.

Directed and produced by Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain), the film has been nominated for the Golden Palm Award at the Cannes Film Festival, where it will first be released on Aug. 14. Given Lee’s record as a masterful storyteller and director, the film is sure to be an entertaining if not affecting piece. But the trailer seems to indicate a humorous storyline, a genre that Lee has yet to explore. -C.M.

<< Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince >>

Although the movie was originally set for release in November, the anticipation for the new Harry Potter movie is building as the new release date, July 15, quickly approaches.  In The Half-Blood Prince, Harry enters his sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and discovers a book inscribed with the phrase “this book belongs to the Half-Blood Prince,” which begins his journey to uncover Lord Voldemort’s past.  Although the book’s storyline is often slow, the end is full of excitement and risk, with a dangerous expedition, a spectacular betrayal and a terrible death.  Hopefully the movie’s pace will develop more quickly than the book. -I.G.

<< Brüno >>

After a hit like Borat, it’s no wonder why Sacha Baron Cohen made another movie based upon one of his many alter-egos from “Da Ali G Show.”  Brüno, set for release on July 10, is about a gay Austrian fashionista who travels to America and interviews real people he meets along the way, some unknown and some famous (for instance, Paula Abdul gives Brüno an interview without knowing it’s fake). If Brüno is anything like Borat, with the inappropriate jokes, nudity and general embarrassment of anyone Borat interacted with, then Brüno should be just as big, maybe even bigger, a hit. -M.S.

<< Inglourious Basterds >>

Inglourious Basterds, which comes out Aug. 21, marks the return of Quentin Tarantino, the acclaimed director of such films as Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. In Tarantino’s new film, Brad Pitt stars as Lt. Aldo Raine, who leads a group of Jewish-American soldiers in World War II. Their goal? To kill as many Nazis as humanly possible. The group teams up with German actress/ secret agent Bridget Von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) to take down the Nazis.  The movie, which uses real German actors in German-speaking parts, is one of the most talked about movies of the summer, with Tarantino himself describing it as his masterpiece. In fact, it has already debuted at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival, in competition for the top prize, the Palme D’Or.  Whenever Tarantino comes out with a new film, it’s an event, as many consider him one of the best directors of his time. If Inglourious Basterds is anything like his previous offerings, it will be sure to please. M.S.

0
0