Link Generations Club strives to close the gap between youths, senior citizens

Photo by Sara Elster
Link Generations Club holds an interest meeting on Wednesday, September 20. The club officers, Junior President Sophie Amalyan, Junior Vice President Bella Rose, Junior Secretary Nadeen Orabi and Junior Treasurer Carissa Chen presented in front of the group about the club’s purpose and how it will operate, including how members should fill out the form for SSL hours.

In 2016, the charity organization Link Generations was founded with the mission of bringing students and older generations together. In 2023, Link Generations officially joined the WJ club roster to offer students SSL opportunities with senior citizens.

The club was founded by president, junior Sophie Amalyan after she got the opportunity to meet with the executive director of Link Generations over the summer.

“As president, I get to organize the meetings and organize when the club will volunteer at a senior living center. Wednesdays at lunch are our meetings, and then volunteering will be Wednesdays after school, once a month,” Amalyan said.

Link Generations is not only a new way for students to learn about what life was like before they were born, but it also serves those they connect with.

“It is important to make sure that younger generations, such as middle schoolers and high schoolers, understand how to talk to older citizens and realize that the difference between the two generations isn’t that big, and they actually have a lot in common, and conversations can be very interesting,” Amalyan said.

Link Generations Club supplies students with well-earned student service learning hours for the significant benefit that volunteering has in the older community.

“We do provide SSL hours, but besides that, it benefits its members because it is very important to communicate with people from different generations than yourself, so you can understand what living in a different time was like, and also understand that older generations have a lot in common with you,” Amalyan said.

Volunteering at senior living homes is a common interest for many students looking to support the community, however, organizing when and where to go can be a challenge.

“I think this club provides an easier channel for younger people to go and talk to older adults because it can be harder to get into senior living homes, and we can provide some guidance for how to talk to them. I joined because Sophie is my friend, but also because volunteering at senior homes is something I’ve been thinking about for a while, but it’s been kind of hard to get in contact with them, so I really love that this is a way to connect with them,” junior vice president Bella Rose said.

There are already many members of the club who are enthusiastic about the experiences and connections this club provides.

“Being a part of Link Generations is exciting to me because it helps grow the connection between different generations. Through this club, I can start to gain a deeper understanding of older generations and offer them comfort and support through volunteering. Definitely check it out,” Sophomore Zoien Hall said.

0
0