Gonzaga Student Dies in Tragic Car Accident

Photo Courtesy of Justin Margolin
This photo of Pettey playing hockey has been set as many of his friends’ Facebook profile pictures as a way to honor his life and spirit.

Early in the morning of Saturday, Nov 1, a fatal two-car crash on the inner loop of the Capital Beltway left one Gonzaga College High School student dead and three others injured.

Dominik “Dom” Liam Pettey, a 17-year-old senior from Gonzaga, was identified by police as the victim from the crash. His companions Daniel May, Sean Gilroy and Patrick “PJ” Johannessen were all injured, but are alive.  Police identified the driver of the vehicle as Andrew May, the 19-year-old  brother of Daniel May.

Maryland State Police have stated that the accident occurred shortly after 2 a.m. just past exit 41 (Clara Barton Parkway). Although the accident is still under investigation, it is believed that the students’ Honda Accord ran out of gas on the Beltway’s inner loop, leading them to pull over onto the shoulder near Persimmon Tree Road. A 2013 Jeep Compass, driven by 24-year-old Margaret Christine Baisley of Rockville, drifted onto the side of the Interstate 495 loop and struck the disabled car.

Investigators have revealed that Baisley displayed signs of intoxication. Charges against her are still pending.

Pettey was one of three in the back seat, where the damage was the most severe. He died at the scene of the crash. The other four in the car at the time of the accident were quickly taken to local hospitals.

While Gilroy and the May brothers suffered no life threatening injuries, Johannessen suffered severe head trauma that has placed him in intensive care. Johannessen was sitting next to Pettey when Baisley’s car crashed into theirs. 

Justin Margolin, a freshman at Northeastern University in Boston, was one of Pettey’s close friends. After hearing about the accident, Margolin wrote a heartfelt Facebook post in honor of his fallen friend.

“[Dom], whether it was your personality, your heart, or your drive, you were a gift. Everyone out there misses you, and it’s not [going to] be the same without you. My prayers go out to you and your family. Rest easy, I miss you already. Love you man,” Margolin wrote. He also expanded on his post with a message to others.

“To everyone else: drinking and driving was something that was ingrained into our minds as something we shouldn’t do, and many of us don’t think anything more of it,” Margolin continued. “When you lose a close friend in an accident in which drinking and driving was involved, it all becomes so real. It can easily be avoided, make the right decision, and please stay safe.” 

Along with countless others, Margolin has now made his Facebook profile picture an image of Pettey playing ice hockey. Pettey was an avid hockey player both inside and outside of his school.

WJ senior Danielle Orsak worked with Johannessen at Old Farm pool in Rockville over the summer.

Photo courtesy of Danielle Orsak. Johannessen poses with Orsak at an Old Farm pool team banquet over the summer.

“P.J. is doing a lot better. He is breathing on his own and can now drink clear liquids out of a straw [rather than] having to suck on a wet sponge. He is also walking around with minor assistance, which is a huge step in his recovery process,” Orsak said. “He has a manager spot waiting for him this summer and I hope he will recover [quickly] enough to fill that position.”

Orsak believes that accident could have been avoided under different circumstances.

“I think that the fact that these kids did nothing wrong and still had something like this happen brings our community together. The thought of this crash will stay with all of us for a while because it was such a tragedy and really should not have happened,” Orsak said.

While the community continues to grieve over the loss of Pettey, supportive counseling is open to all Gonzaga students who feel that they need someone to talk to. Pettey’s funeral mass will be held at Our Lady of Mercy Parish in Potomac at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 8. 

A website has been created that includes frequent updates, via Johannessen’s mother, on the status of his recovery, and can be accessed at the address below.

caringbridge.org/visit/patrickjohannessen

1
0