Early Major Decision Leads to Later Benefits

At some point in life, all students go through a phase when they have a dream job in mind, and they are convinced that they know what they want to be when they grow up. The dream job could be realistic, like being a teacher or a doctor, or it could be more of a stretch, like to be a famous pop star or actor. But regardless of aspirations, the key to finding satisfaction and success is pursuing what you love without forgetting the dream you had when young. In some cases, this dream is not forgotten; it is chased and eventually reached later in life. These people are the lucky and determined ones that many other people are jealous of because they have a job that they do every day and enjoy themselves while they are doing it.

“The happiest person in the world is someone who has a job they love,” said WJ College and Career Coordinator Bryna Blaine. “Then it’s not like they are going to work every day.”

At the earliest stage of life, a student can focus on reaching such a goal: he or she can work in high school to get into a college that focuses specifically on the major they are interested in pursuing.

Knowing your major when you go to college is a definite advantage. If you know what you want to major in when you are applying to college, you can focus on specific schools that cater directly to your interests. Also, once you are in college, you can take classes that relate to your major instead of spending time and money taking classes that you may not be interested in.

Many students have no idea what they want to major in when they go to college, but if people follow their passions, they can easily gain a general idea of what they like to do and follow through with this idea in college.

If students are lucky enough to have a career goal in mind, it is a good idea for students to look for a subject they like and possibly want to have a profession in. This way, the student can get the required credits for high school along with credits applying to his or her major that can be used to place out of classes in college.

“The most important thing to do is to follow your passion,” said Blaine.

By pursuing a specific major in college, you will be better off when you enter the labor force because you will have received focused instruction in your field of study.

Since so many classes and subjects are now available in high school, it is much easier for students to find something they love early in life. Then, in college, they can have an easier time picking classes and developing the skills they need for their specific profession. Even if the major you choose does not turn out to your liking, you can always switch majors while in college, usually without much hassle at all.

We are lucky to have such a variety of classes available to us in high school and should take advantage of this opportunity by taking any class that sounds interesting to us. In doing this, we do ourselves a favor because we will have a clearer idea of what we want to study when we get to college. Then, in college, we can take classes relating to our interests and graduate with a degree in something we love.

0
0