Voiced Opinions on 2008-2009 SGA Performance

The 2008-2009 SGA, composed of President Duane Wilson, Vice President Tyler Boatright, Secretary Clare Riva and Treasurer Charlie Hartley, has earned high marks for its unprecedented community outreach and service. Student survey results showed a positive reaction to Wilson’s and Hartley’s leadership at an overall rating (out of 5) of 4.01 and 3.57 respectively, while students still found something to be desired from Boatright and Riva, who had ratings at 3.21 and 3.43.

The SGA this year has focused on different community service activities such as a field day to benefit the Children’s Inn and a school supply drive for an orphanage in Afghanistan. However, the SGA’s biggest accomplishment was their work for the Pennies for Patients Foundation, which benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The SGA organized multiple events, such as Pong for Pennies for Patients, a Ledo’s Pizza fundraiser and a benefit that forced a male teacher to dress in women’s attire, to ensure a high level of participation from WJ students.

“Our goal was $12,500, and we thought that would be a struggle,” said Riva. “We ended up raising [about] $15,600 which I was so excited about because that was something that was really important to me.”

Principal Christopher Garran was impressed with the SGA’s level of dedication to the organization.

“The SGA and the leadership class took that to a whole other level, blowing away all previous records, even to the point where the folks from Pennies for Patients actually came here to interview the leadership class and the SGA,” said Garran.

Overall, junior Roya Hakimzadeh sees the SGA as a positive force within the WJ community.

“I think they did a really good job,” said Hakimzadeh. “They were all really dedicated and they seemed to care.”

Sophomore Chris Alexander commends the SGA for their energetic performance.

“From the homecoming video to the announcements to Pennies for patients, [the SGA] was certainly entertaining,” said Alexander.

The SGA also proved to be representatives for WJ in front of elected officials. The SGA gave speeches and provided tours for important guests.

“Because of our construction, they’ve had a lot more visitors,” said Garran. “To have the governor in September and the lieutenant governor in April as book ends to the year and the comptroller in the middle, they had the three most powerful politicians in the state come through the school.”

Senior Andrew Goldstein was pleased about how accessible the SGA was.

“[They represented WJ] pretty well. I could voice my opinions easily.”

However, some students feel uninformed about the SGA’s activities.

“They didn’t really do anything substantial or beneficial that I can think of,” said sophomore Peter Lom.

Still, Garran finds little that the SGA could have done better.

“I think they could have picked up coffee more often for me from Starbucks or brought donuts from Krispy Kreme,” said Garran.

All jokes aside, Garran truly sees great promise in the 2009 SGA.

“I think they have tremendous potential to contribute to our future society,” said Garran. “They’ve just been a very impressive group of young leaders.”

0
0