Opinion Blast: Moving on at Penn State

With Jerry Sandusky’s recent sentencing, a long look at the rebuilding process at Penn State is needed. Before the atrocities of Sandusky were revealed, Penn State football was a revered institution for its integrity and values. At the head of this legacy was Joe Paterno, a coach whose own legacy has been shrouded with the same cloud that took down the program. What is left is, quite frankly, in shambles.

Any sort of moving on with Penn State needs to start with the hardest part, distancing themselves  from Joe Paterno. Paterno ultimately headed a program that lost all institutional control and allowed a monster to prey on young children. Removing the statue outside the football stadium was the right move, as would be removing any signs of Paterno from the football program.

This doesn’t mean that Paterno has to become a bad word per se, his financial contributions to the University can’t be ignored, however his crimes require distancing from the University. As for the football program, Penn State should focus on rebuilding a damaged department in the best way possible, by establishing a morally sound program. Replacing the lost credibility will be near impossible, but gaining some of it back starts now.

0
0