Opinion Blast: A Nation in Depression

One of the more prevalent stories on the global scene over the last month has been the gripping saga of Olympian Oscar Pistorius’ murder charges.

The paraplegic sprinter was a inspiration to many during his ground breaking participation in the 2012 Summer Olympics, racing against able-bodied athletes and advancing to the 200m final. His jersey number swap with eventual winner Kirani James was a moment crystallized in Olympic history.

These feel-good moments have been stained with the negative ink of the last month, as Pistorius was charged with the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, a celebrity in her own right. Pistorius and his lawyers hold that the shooting was accidental, with Pistorius mistaking his longtime girlfriend for a robber. He shot blindly into the bathroom door, only finding out after it was his girlfriend in the bathroom.

Conflicting evidence ruins Pistorius’ story of sadness and misfortune. Neighbors’ reports of loud fighting sounds and a bloodied cricket bat was found in the residence, complicating matters. Pistorius’ next court date is set in June.

The most interesting takeaway from the cluster of news is South Africa’s reaction as a nation. The nation, understandably, has been consumed by the drama. However, the core emotion has not been that of anger, or obsession, but rather one of depression and resignment, as the people of South Africa gradually accept that a national hero may not be what he seemed.

Popular newspapers and media outlets like the Cape Times, among others, have almost shared in the nationwide depression, not partaking in the typical media sensationalism that follows events like this. The media’s reaction can also be measured in an historical sense: since South Africa gained freedom of the press in the early 90’s, there hasn’t been a nationwide crisis of this magnitude. This makes it interesting to see how the national media handles an issue like this. It’s refreshing to see the papers handling the situation with respect and treating the case purely off of facts.

0
0