Kaepernick refuses to stand for the National Anthem

San Francisco 49ers backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick made headlines during the preseason by kneeling during the National Anthem. Kaepernick made headlines during the offseason with the possibility of going to the Denver Broncos and being benched for Blaine Gabbert, but the most popular story was Kaepernick sitting down for the National Anthem during a preseason game and how he refused to stand until there is “significant change” in the way African Americans are treated with the violence around America, especially by police.

Many celebrities slammed Kaepernick for “disrespecting our country” including the great basketball player Shaquille O’Neal. “‘I don’t know Colin, but again, to each his own. I don’t really have a say on it, but I would never do that,’” O’Neal told Fox and Friends, “‘My father was a military man, and you know, he protected this country. Uncles are in law enforcement, you know, they go out and work hard every day. Just, [there are] other ways to get your point across.’”

The flag doesn’t necessarily represent our service men and women, but does represent our country being together, which is O’Neal’s point. The protest disrespects the military personnel who have worked to keep this country safe and together.

Another point with which O’Neal and other sports greats agree that this is a wrong type of protest. Kaepernick said he will not stand until there is change within the violence of minorities across a country that preaches equality.

“I thought it was interesting,” Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman told The Seattle Times, “[Kaepernick] could have picked a different platform. A lot of people have sacrificed for [the flag].”

Many Seahawks players, including cornerback Jeremy Lane, and all pros Bobby Wagner and Doug Baldwin have said that they support Kaepernick in his protest of the National Anthem, but not all Seahawk stars support the protest. “I love the flag,” Russell Wilson told The Daily Clear, “and every time I get to put my hand on my heart, it’s truly an honor.”

As a Seahawks fan, this disappoints. My family has fought in combat and fought for the flag. We fought for equality, and our National Anthem represents pride for our country. I don’t want to be the guy who calls them traitors, or say they’re not American, instead I want to give them another way to make change happen immediately rather than sitting down.

I want America to have hope; I want America to know that it will get better. We’re already a country of equality. There are flaws in it, and many people in government are trying to help by adding security footage to police so we can solve police brutality.

Yes, there are routinely 1,200+ police brutality killings every year, and we’re supposed to reach that this year with 802 already this year, but sitting down isn’t going to raise awareness, it’s going to have people disrespect you and call you a traitor. To protest, we need to suggest laws to our senator, congressman or governor. It’s the only way we can make real change.

I’m not saying that these football players, or anyone shouldn’t be allowed to protest, I am a firm believer in the first amendment, and I believe all people whether black, white, gay or straight have the same rights. We can actually make change but not by kneeling during the anthem. If you want change, make change.

2
0