The weight of standardized testing

Many underclassmen students can feel overwhelmed with the amount of standardized testing over the final parts of the school year.
Photo courtesy of Pinterest

The weeks after spring break are notorious for being overwhelming and stressful due to the amount of testing that occurs. From APs in early May to class finals, many students can be blindsided by the workload and amount of studying required.

April and May have become synonymous with stress and anxiety for underclassmen high school students navigating a sea of standardized tests. The pressure to perform well on these exams has reached unprecedented levels, leaving a detrimental impact on students’ mental health, academic development, and overall well-being.

Standardized testing has long been a cornerstone of education, aiming to evaluate student knowledge and measure educational progress. However, in recent years, the frequency and intensity of these exams have increased, disproportionately impacting underclassmen. Students are compelled to sit for numerous tests, from state-mandated assessments to college entrance exams, without adequate preparation time or consideration for their holistic development.

In the last few weeks, there have been multiple exams such as the two-week AP season which went from May 1st to May 12th, Maryland Comprehensive Assessment Program (MCAP), NSL Government testing, MISA testing and final exams for many classes.

“We’ve had a few different tests during these last few weeks but my focus has been on my first AP exam because I didn’t really know what to expect,” freshman Carlos Silva said.

For freshmen, the transition from middle to high school is only incremented with the newfound stress of high stake standardized testing. Middle school testing is focused on a few exams designed to measure growth, not to determine if a student gets credits.

The excessive testing culture has led to a narrowing of the curriculum, with schools focusing disproportionately on test preparation instead of fostering a well-rounded education. As the testing calendar expands, students find themselves caught in a perpetual cycle of studying, leaving limited time for engaging in extracurricular activities, pursuing personal interests, or cultivating critical thinking skills.

“I think that a lot of it is unnecessary because it is going until like the end of the year and people are just trying to finish the year and it’s a lot to think about because you are trying to finish with good grades but you also had all this testing,” freshman Grant Matalia said.

The mental health implications of excessive testing are undeniable. Young minds already grappling with the challenges of adolescence now face additional stressors due to the high-stakes nature of these exams. The fear of failure, the burden of unrealistic expectations, and the incessant comparison to peers can increase anxiety, depression and burnout.

Moreover, the intense testing schedule affects students’ time management skills, leaving them with limited opportunities for self-care, socializing, and pursuing hobbies. This imbalance in their lives can result in a negative spiral, affecting not only their academic performance but also their overall well-being.

Educational policymakers, administrators and teachers should have a greater emphasis on formative assessments that provide real-time feedback to students, allowing them to learn from their mistakes and develop a deeper understanding of the material.

0
0