Pros and cons of going to UMD

Photo courtesy of WikiMedia Commons
Tydings Hall, pictured above, is home to the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences, the Department of Economics and the Department of Government & Politics. It was first constructed in 1961 and was named after Millard E. Tydings, a U.S. senator.

Currently, 75.7% of enrolled students at UMD are Maryland residents. The University of Maryland has always been a popular choice for WJ students, but many swear against continuing their higher education in such close proximity to their high school. The decision for or against UMD is incredibly easy for some while others’ decisions come down to the wire.

For many Marylanders, the decision for UMD can be made in a heartbeat just due to the quality of education and costs associated to it. With UMD ranking generally high in colleges across the U.S. and very high among public universities, the discounted in-state tuition costs are extremely attractive. Due to the high quality of education and lower prices, students are sure to be spending their money efficiently.

Furthermore, the fact that UMD is close to home is a selling point for many. Teddy Tasikas, whose sister Sofia Tasikas is a rising sophomore at UMD, enjoys the close company of his sister. “Every Thursday, me and my siblings go up to UMD to hang out with Sofia and it helps us stay close even though her schedule is much busier due to college,” Tasikas said.

Being able to visit family with less than a one hour drive is a big privilege to have, especially to those who might have trouble adjusting to the drastic change of college life. Knowing that your family is in close proximity can alleviate many of the stresses of leaving home, even if you don’t necessarily want to visit them very frequently. However, the setting change and living situation means that students can still feel the freedom and new experiences associated with college. Also, students can easily visit DC due to UMD’s close proximity, a process that is becoming even easier due to the current construction of the Metro purple line, which will make going from College Park to DC a breeze.

However, this close proximity is also a curse for others. To put it bluntly, many people do not enjoy the environment that is Maryland. Complaints of car-based city planning, gentrification and other faults associated with suburbia are heard throughout WJ, and for many, college is a way to experience an entirely new way of living that some might not be able to find within the bounds of one state. To those who view post-high school as a way to discover new areas with newfound independence, perhaps it is best to study abroad or to go to a different state for college.

After all, staying in the States does not mean continuing the same Maryland way of life; it doesn’t take a long distance to experience a completely different community and pace of life. The size of 40,709 is also quite large for a college, and can seem daunting to those who prefer a smaller sized college.

2
1