How much is too much for concert tickets?

Maayan Keren
StubHub releases tickets for the Olivia Rodrigo Guts Tour. Reseller prices were immediately through the roof for nosebleeds.

In the music world, experiencing a concert live is a memorable experience for fans of all ages. As the years roll on, the cost of concert tickets is increasing at a rapid rate. What was once an affordable experience has now become a financial burden for many music enthusiasts. Are fans’ experiences of listening to live music being cut short because of soaring ticket prices?

As people get older they get more excited about going to concerts with their friends. It is a thrilling event but some don’t get to experience it. Artists and ticket companies are taking advantage of fans, selling tickets for unreasonably large prices to maximize revenue.

However, not all artists overcharge their ticket prices. The average price that most people are willing to pay for a concert ticket would be $200 for really good seats: the floor or lower bowl. When more famous artists go on tour, the tickets usually sell out pretty quickly. Many scalpers buy most of the limited amount of tickets and resell them for outrageous prices.

Fans feel upset because they aren’t able to pay $400 nosebleeds (cheapest seats available at a concert) for their favorite artists. Scalpers and some artists are taking away the opportunity for a lot of fans to go see their favorite artists live.

During the ticket sales for “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour,” many fans didn’t get the chance to score tickets to the concert. Many scalpers got the opportunity to purchase the tickets over real fans and resell them for insane prices. Throughout the internet, many people were posting on social media platforms about the shocking prices that other reselling platforms are posting. One single ticket to one of the concerts for the Eras Tour was reselling for $90,000. Those prices are unreasonable for concert tickets.

Recently, more artists have been releasing tickets for their upcoming concerts. Some fans are lucky enough to get access to presales and be able to get tickets while others aren’t as lucky and have to rely on the resellers. If they can’t pay for the $400 nosebleeds then they are left with no other option. Real fans should be able to have access to presales and normal prices.

A normal price for tickets would be between $50-$300. Those prices seem reasonable and accurate. But somehow, those same but cheaper tickets are reselling for triple that amount just so they can take advantage and make money off real fans who they know want to see the artist live and would pay those prices even though they are extremely expensive. It’s time for artists or owners of these ticket platforms to do something about this problem.

2
0