The Future of Art: A Q&A with Five Ambitious Seniors

Fashion: Sophie Andes Gascon and Gaby Cavanagh

EJ: How did your interest in fashion begin?

SAG: We started when we asked for sewing machines for Christmas in eighth grade and then we started experimenting with old clothes we had – men’s t-shirts, we would throw paint on things and sew buttons. 

EJ: How would you describe your aesthetic?

SAG: It’s funky; it’s flirty; it’s pretty eclectic. We do basic shapes with embellishment; we’re all about finding new ways to funk up a simple outfit.

EJ: How has your style evolved?

GC:   We’ve toned down our style a lot; it used to be really out there and crazy, [we were] making things that people could not wear to school or every day. It’s a lot more simple now than where we started.

EJ:    What are you planning on doing post-high school?

GC:   I’m planning on majoring in fine arts and then doing a post-grad in fashion design.

SAG:   Our dream, I’d say, is to one day own our own little boutique, have a nice, simple life making our clothes.

Painting: Sarah Perone

EJ:   How did you develop your interest in art?

SP:   Well, I’ve done art my entire life and since my father’s a professional photographer he has helped me. But I couldn’t choose which art to take when I was signing up for classes so I took [painting and photography] instead of a PE credit, and I thought by taking both, I would choose which one I liked better … I don’t know which one I’ll end up doing as my career because I like both.

EJ:    How would you describe your aesthetic?

SP:   I love using a lot of color and a lot of brightness. I use a lot of texture. It’s never really blended; you can see everything; there’s a lot of movement. That’s what I love when I see art and that’s what I try to bring, it’s my energy going into my art.

EJ:   Do you plan on pursuing art in college?

SP:   I’m applying to VCU with an arts program and the same with St. Mary’s, which has a really nice art program, and I’m applying to Towson just because they have a really good art program. My top choice right now is MICA, which is the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore.

Photography: Federika Schliessler

EJ:   How would you describe your artistic style?

FS:   I do absolutely eveything. I think it’s too boring to have just one sort of style. I like things that aren’t too perfect, that are mixed up and fit together. I like to give them a rough cut.

EJ:   What artists do you draw inspiration from?

FS:   I love all the famous photographs, but my favorite artist of all time is Banksy. I love the way he makes  bodies move and you can actually see the movement in his stencils and I also like doing that in my photography.

JB:   What inspires you about photography?

FS:   It’s a different way of looking at things, it’s a different perspective and a different way to be creative. You always see things in a 360˚ view and through the camera you see things in completely different way.

JB:   Do you plan on pursuing photography in college?

FS:   I feel like if I want to do it I would do it in an institute as a double major. But for now I want to do international relations and I guess you could possibly combine that with photography.

Digital Art: Jacob Reynolds

JB:   What art classes are you currently enrolled in?

JR:   I’m in  the AP 2D design class. You prepare a breadth section and a concentration section. Breadth is a bunch of elements to show a wide array of artistic abilities. Concentrations is focusing in one thing, like there are some silhouettes in the room right here and you can do 12 different pieces of silhouettes.

JB:   What inspires you in your art?

JR:   I guess it goes back to cartoons, I liked them and I was like, let’s do some art. A bunch of comic book artists inspire me such as Frank Miller and Jim Lee.

JB:   Do you plan on pursuing digital art after high school?

JR:   Oh yeah, definitely. I’m looking at RISD and Scott because they have a sequential arts program. [I’m applying to] just any school that will let you major in art. I am also looking at Edinburgh School of Art in Scotland and the University of Michigan. Anywhere, you know, I can get my art on.

0
0
$825
$1000