Lights, Camera, Action: Teen Pregnancy

MTV is to host two shows: “16 and Pregnant,” which films 16-year-olds throughout the nine months of pregnancy, and “Teen Mom,” which documents the struggles and lessons learned as the teenagers experience motherhood. To younger viewers, these two shows send mixed messages about teen pregnancy by glamorizing the issue.

According to MTV.com, the purpose of “16 and Pregnant” is “to show what pregnant women, from varying backgrounds, are experiencing in their everyday lives.” In order to be casted, you have to send MTV your contact information as well as a statement saying why you want to be on the show, and, of course, you must be pregnant. MTV is sending a message to teenage girls to not worry if they get pregnant.

“Teen Mom” focuses on life after the baby is born. This filming, throwing a personal experience into the world of Hollywood, where everyone criticizes your every move, like a celebrity, glorifies teenage pregnancy.

Recently, the girls of “Teen Mom” were on the cover on Us Weekly. The moms got to go to New York City and get their hair and makeup done for the photo shoot. These girls have had real struggles that many girls will go through, but most teens won’t have the opportunity to the financial benefits that come with being on a reality TV show.

As a mature teenager watching “Teen Mom” and “16 and Pregnant,” I am always reminded that I never want to be in a situation where I have to drop out of high school, abandon my normal teenage life, forfeit a college education and deal with financial issues. But a younger teenager may see that it is not the end of the world to get pregnant because she has the option of becoming a MTV star.

However, MTV does provide resources for teenagers who have questions about sex, including itsyoursexlife.com and stayteen.org. All are helpful links that educate teens about birth control and how to prevent STDS, and answer any questions they may have about sex.

For mature teenagers, “Teen Mom” and “16 and Pregnant” are effective ways to remind them of the consequences of teen pregnancy. However, immature ‘tweens’ could get the impression that teen pregnancy is an option. What is going on in these girl’s lives is real, but MTV needs to be careful in how they present the image of teenage pregnancy to their younger viewers.

0
0