Courtney Wimer, Swim

The swim and dive team has won five consecutive combined county championships. Senior captain Courtney Wimer has been a major part in three of them, since arriving as a freshman.

Ever since she started swimming for the school, she has swam on the varsity team all four years and has participated in the county championships three out of the four years, and Metros twice. This year she has been the top performer in the breaststroke in all meets except for one, and provides a spark to the entire team.

“She has been a big contributor to our county titles and the girls winning the divisional title the past two years,” said coach Jamie Grimes.

Although she had to change her stroke, Wimer has developed into one of the top performers on the team. She has only swam two events this season where she did not place first on the team. Not only is she a great performer in the breaststroke, but she has also placed first this season in relays and medleys.

“I am very versatile,” said Wimer. “I can swim anything I am asked to do.”

As a captain this year, her leadership, along with her swimming skills, has earned her much respect from the team. She is constantly helping younger swimmers with their technique at practice, and demonstrating team spirit by leading the team in cheers.

“She is very vocal in supporting her teammates,” said Grimes. “She encourages [the team] to do their best.”

Wimer is a catalyst to a team that has looked impressive in their first three meets, winning two and placing second at the Division I Relay Carnival. Currently, she is being recruited by multiple Division III schools for collegiate swimming. Her positive attitude lets her reach a new level of competition.

“Try your best, work hard and let nothing get in your way,” she said. “Make sure you are positive and never go into anything negative or you are never going to do well.”

0
0