Tess Petesch, Lacrosse

As a freshman, Tess Petesch was all soccer. Whether it was for her school or a club team, she played competitively year-round.

Four years later, Petesch has not only capped off a successful WJ soccer career that included two division championships, but has added another sport to her repertoire: lacrosse. According to Petesch, however, her lacrosse career began out of curiosity.

“I decided I would try out my freshman year because I thought it would be fun and I wanted to see if I could make the team,” she said.

As it turns out, Petesch’s decision to play lacrosse was a good one. After four years on the varsity squad, she will take her game to Colby College in Waterville, Maine. Colby lacrosse coach Karen Henning is excited by Petesch’s potential.

“What makes Tess so amazing is her athleticism combined with her passion and competitiveness,” said Henning.

Though Henning is anxiously awaiting her arrival, Petesch remains focused on the current season. Earlier this season, she tied the school single-game scoring record with nine goals against Whitman on March 27. Still, she credits her teammates for the accomplishment.

“I was able to score because everyone else was working really hard getting the ball and giving good passes,” she said. “It’s not like anyone scores alone. It starts with [junior goalkeeper] Yassie [Ajdari] saving the ball or the defense getting it.”

With the Wildcats poised to make a run deep into the playoffs, Petesch is careful not to get ahead of herself, and has made the current season her top priority. Still, Henning expects her hard work to translate into success on the collegiate level.

“Tess is driven to succeed,” she said. “She wants to learn and grow. When you have an eager, athletic learner who wants to succeed, good things tend to happen.”

0
0