NFL Recap 2009: The Top 5 Stories of the Season

Playoffs? You talking ’bout playoffs? 
It was only a year ago that Santonio Holmes’ toe-tap catch with just over a minute left made Mike Tomlin the second African American coach to win a Super Bowl. But a pitiful series of losses that included the woeful Chiefs and Browns left the defending champion Steelers 8-8, and out of the playoffs.   

Giants and Broncos rumble to 5-0, 6-0 starts, then stumble to an 8-8 fall. 
The Giants and Broncos were among teams to start 6-0. Both lost in their seventh game a week later, and their eighth. The Giants’ season can be summed up by one defining moment: their 44-7 loss to the Carolina Panthers in their final game at Giant Stadium. 

The Broncos season is defined by diva receiver Brandon Marshall’s endless feud with rookie coach Josh McDaniels, who benched the star for the team’s final two games.

Chris Johnson becomes sixth player ever to run for 2,000 yards in a season. 
Although he has been in the league for two years, Chris Johnson is arguably the most explosive player this league has ever seen. Not only did he run for 2000 yards, but he also had the most all-purpose yards of any running back ever. In the 2008 NFL Draft, five running backs got their names called before him. Pretty impressive for someone who has only been in the league for two years. Although in the past some young players have had breakout years but fall off the face of the Earth later (i.e. Derek Anderson), look for Johnson to put up the same numbers for the next several years. Step aside Peyton, Chris Johnson should and will take home the AP Offensive Player of the Year award. 

Saints and Colts settle for 13-0 and 14-0 respectively, rest starters for final two weeks. 
Look, when you sign an NFL contract, your job is to win football games. However, during the regular season you are playing for one thing at a time. First: a playoff spot. Both these teams clinched one by week nine. Then if you’ve got that you play for a first round bye. Once you have that you play for homefield advantage. They both had that. By the time Colts and Saints began resting their starters there was nothing left to play for. Would it have been nice to see a team go undefeated and win the Super Bowl? Duh. But I agree with the coaches’ decisions to rest the starters. 

“At this time, I am retired and have no intention of returning to football.” PSYCH!
Let’s be honest. Any one who follows the NFL would agree that Brett Favre is the most irritating player in the history of the league. I could never tell if Favre was playing football, or filming a music video for “Should I Stay or Should I Go.” Not only has he flooded the headlines of all sports publications across the country, but he came back to play for the rival of a team he gave a Super Bowl ring and two MVP awards, and betrayed the Lambeau faithful in the process. Is Favre a hall of famer? Yes. Should he accept the middle-age crisis heading his way and retire while 40% of his former fan population still like him? Yes.

0
0