Poms Captures First Place at Northwest High School Invitational

After a season of extensive training and practices, the hard work of the WJ Poms Squad paid off, as they placed first in the MCPS County Competition on Feb. 27. Along with winning the competition, junior captain Anh Le placed second for the captain’s award.

This season, the squad was smaller making practice times more manageable; however, the main difference was the leadership from the captains: senior captain Alex Gusky, senior co-captain Celia Karp and junior captain Anh Le.

“They had a vision and worked really hard to achieve it,” said coach Sarah Leng. “Captains were prepared and ready to teach routine everyday. They were able to balance fun with hard work and focus.”

Before performances, the squad always did special bonding activities to pump everyone up. After getting “pumped up,” the girls would stretch as a team and then individually. After stretching, they would get together to review any changes made to the routine.

“We take competition really seriously,” said Gusky. “[We] start learning our competition routine about two to three months before our first competition. We practice and perform the same routine over and over again up until our final competition.”

Before the season, the squad didn’t have any main goals except to have a succesful and fun season together.

“This season we didn’t have a specific goal, like getting first place,” said Le. “Our primary goal was just to be the best that we can be, and see where that would take us.”

The squad has successfully achieved their goals by receiving one second place award at the Northwest High School Invitational, winning two first place awards on Feb. 27, and the Magruder High School Competition, having both Karp and Le win captain awards and also winning the best choreography award.

This season, co-coach Gia Wright joined the squad as a choreographer, working alongside Leng to whip the girls into shape, by teaching them techniques for turns, leaps and other necessary skills. Every Monday and Tuesday night at practice, Wright drilled the girls on having pointed toes, straightened legs and the correct form for kicklines.

“It was really great having her there to help us focus on the flaws of the team’s performances so that we could improve with each performance,” said Karp. “Leng was always there to help us improve the overall look of the routine, and she would tell us if something looked off or awkward.”

After this season is over, the squad will lose only three seniors, including Gusky and Karp, leaving Le to take rein with the new co-captain and junior captain appointed for next season.

“I look forward to seeing the leadership of my new captains,” said Leng. “It’s also fun seeing the growth from the girls who I first met as freshman.”

With the benefit of only losing three seniors, the close knit group will continue to strive to do their best for the next season.

“[I’m looking forward] to doing it all over again,” said Le. “I’m also excited to meet the new girls and can’t wait for all of us to grow together as a team.”

0
0