Georgetown Hoyas: Barking Up the Wrong Tree

Coming into the 2009-2010 men’s college basketball season, there were many question marks surrounding some of the area’s top college basketball programs. 

Local powers Maryland and Georgetown were both coming off mediocre seasons in which Maryland lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament and Georgetown didn’t even receive an invitation to the tournament.  Fortunately, local fans had something to cheer about this year after both programs returned to prominence. 

Prior to the hiring of John Thompson III in 2004, the once dominant Georgetown Program had been in turmoil and a perennial weakling in the grueling Big East Conference.  After Thompson’s arrival, the program made immediate strides toward improvement.  Thompson became only the third coach in Big East history to defeat a nationally ranked team in the conference opener, not to mention accomplishing this as a rookie head coach in the Big East.  His early success led to the gaining of more national attention as well as drawing the interest of big-time recruits like Roy Hibbert as well as current standout players Chris Wright, Austin Freeman and Greg Monroe.

Thompson still had more planned, even after a surprisingly successful inaugural season.  In his next four seasons as Georgetown’s head coach, Thompson won the Big East Regular Season Championship twice, won the Big East Tournament, made appearances in the NCAA Tournament three out of four times and even advanced all the way to the Final Four in 2007.

Fast-forwarding to the present day Georgetown Hoyas, fans are simply dumbfounded and are asking, “What’s the problem?”  Many had quickly dismissed last year’s disappointing 16-15 record, but very few identified the real problem.

Despite having two proven upperclassmen as well as a highly touted recruiting class headed by Greg Monroe, the team encountered early season issues with team chemistry and adjusting to each others’ style of play.

Thompson apparently also had trouble figuring his team out, changing his starting lineup mid-season.  He drew criticism when he benched senior point guard Jessie Sapp, who had started the first 21 games of the season, for then sophomore Chris Wright.  Unfortunately, this lineup change didn’t spark the team.  In fact, it created more tension amongst the team, especially between Sapp and Wright, the two players fighting for the starting point guard position.  This failed attempt to turn things around mid-season by Thompson set the team back and ruined any chance for a possible late season surge.

While some still question Thompson’s judgment regarding the benching of Sapp, a senior, proven player, team leader and person responsible for settling the team down while on the court; I completely understand his dilemma. 

The problem lies with Wright, a so called “point guard” with a shooting guard’s scoring mentality.  The job of the point guard is to maintain team composure on the floor while playing, settle the team down when needed and most importantly, direct teammates to where they are supposed to be.  Essentially, the point guard needs to be looking to get his teammates involved on every single play.  Yes, Wright should be a point guard considering he is 6-1 and maybe labeled one because of his height, but the truth is he isn’t.  Wright is Georgetown’s starting point guard, but he has a score first mentality which often disrupts team rhythm and flow during games.  Similar to former one and done Georgetown player Allen Iverson, Wright is a shooting guard trapped inside a point guard’s body.

Georgetown’s up and down season consisting of amazing wins against opponents like number one seeds Duke and Syracuse and glaring losses against South Florida as well as yesterday’s first round loss to number 14 seed Ohio should not be a surprise.  But hey, that’s March Madness for you.

0
0