Final Touches on the Field

In the final stages of modernization, WJ recently added a prominent feature to its core of new sights to see and enjoy. The brand new artificial turf field was finally completed earlier this month, easily identifiable by the colorful appearance that a turf field brings along.

During the fall season, fall sports, including football, girls and boys soccer and field hockey played on their first home field in several seasons, but could only play on simple grass that was going to be taken out after their seasons.
  Now, coaches and teams will enjoy a brand new field.
    “We will be able to practice and play games daily and not have to worry about destroying the grass,” said varsity head football coach Jon Kadi.
    Maintaining the highly anticipated turf field will not be easy; WJ will have to spend nearly thousands of dollars per year  to keep up the estimated $1.2 million field, which Bethesda Soccer Club is helping to pay for.
    After Richard Montgomery High School recently implemented its own turf field, Montgomery County has received a number of requests from schools including WJ, Gaithersburg, Paint Branch, and Wheaton to add to the list of schools with the artificial turf.
    Proponents of a turf field, including WJ parent Scott Marks who likes the idea of an artificial turf field, have said that it is more “environmentally friendly” because it cuts down the amount of fertilizers and lawn mowing needed to keep up normal grass fields.
    “This way more teams can use the field in their seasons and not have to worry about mud or ruining the field after a rain,” said Marks.
    According to athletic director Sue Amos, a machine will “groom” and maintain the field and disinfect it two times a year.  
    Both boys and girls lacrosse began their seasons with “home away from home” games, similar to last season, but have been able to take advantage of the new field from the day it was finished. Most expected the field to be done by the end of spring break, but had to wait just a bit longer.
    Varsity boys lacrosse coach Jon Mayer explains the sport of lacrosse is better suited for turf and WJ will make sure to take advantage of its usage.
    “The home field has always been awful here, and having the new [turf] field is nice,” said Mayer. Having turf “should prove advantageous in the long run,” he added.
    Members of the football team working out in the off season have been spotted using the turf and the new stadium to work on conditioning, hoping to becoming faster as a result of the smooth surface come football season.
    “I feel that we will be more athletic and could be faster than some of our opponents,” said Kadi. “However, the turf will give that same advantage right back to the other teams best athletes. So in my opinion, practicing on turf will not provide any advantage over the other teams.”
    With the new field only a couple weeks old, the final stages of modernization have seemed to be winding down, evident by the increasing amount of WJ athletes practicing on campus after school.
    According to Amos, all that’s left to finish for the stadium is the track, which contractors will begin after the spring seasons.
    The million dollar project will remain for years to come at WJ, leading to a new era of modern technology in and around schools that has slowly but surely increased throughout the country. Who knows in ten to 20 years how many more will adopt this new wave of athletic innovation.

0
0