Nationals Up Against All Odds

It seemed liked a recipe for disaster.

Throughout the first month (April 2- May 2) of the MLB season, the Washington Nationals played with rookie starters at catcher and second base, a former pitcher starting in centerfield and its two biggest stars on the DL. Free agent additions 1B Adam LaRoche and RF Jayson Werth have been unable to carry the offensive load, resulting in a horrendous team average of .225 that is second worst in the majors. The defense, which is supposed to be vastly improved, has already committed 21 errors. These stats imply a below average club, something Nats fans are well accustomed to.

Despite the abysmal circumstances, not only have the Nats managed to avoid a dreadful start but they are on pace to exceed expectations. The solid performance of the pitching staff has single handedly carried them to an even record of 14-14. The starting rotation and bullpen have compiled a respectable 3.43 ERA. First year Nat SP Tom Gorzelanny, acquired from the Cubs, thus far has proved himself valuable. SP Jason Marquis has bounced back from an embarrassing season to emerge as a key to the rotation and top prospect SP Jordan Zimmermann has shown flashes of brilliance with his mid-90s fastball and great secondary pitches. The team has also received help from young relief pitchers Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard, who continue to impress late in ballgames.

The few runs the Nats have been able to scrape out are in large part thanks to rookie catcher Wilson Ramos.  Picked up from the Twins for closer Matt Capps at last year’s trade deadline, Ramos is demonstrating freakish ability. His rare combination of raw power and cannon arm make him extremely valuable to the club. He is hitting .344 with two homeruns while splitting playing time with veteran Ivan Rodriguez. Soon enough manager Jim Riggleman will have no choice but to make Ramos the full-time starting catcher.

Looking ahead, the Nationals will have to improve their offense and 6-9 divisional record. They must start beating division rivals, such as the Phillies and Braves, on a more consistent basis to ever stand a chance in the unforgiving NL East. The offense will most likely jump-start when Werth heats up and 3B Ryan Zimmerman returns from a torn abdominal muscle in six weeks. Until then, Nats fans must endure the painful experience of watching scrubs like Jerry Hairston Jr. and Alex Cora attempt to fill Zimmerman’s role.

In related news, the Nats first overall draft pick Bryce Harper is tearing it up at the Single-A level. Playing for the Hagerstown Suns, he is hitting a team high .358 average and six homeruns. His competitive edge was put on display when he was in the middle of a bench-clearing brawl. In his next at-bat, he took his anger out by hitting a sky scraping homerun. The Nationals have plenty to look forward to in coming years.

0
0
$775
$1000