The End of an Era: Gary Williams Steps Down as Maryland Basketball Coach

In a shocking move, Gary Williams retired last Thursday, ending a 22-year reign as head coach of the University of Maryland basketball program.

Upon hearing the news, I was flooded with highlights and images from the more glorious days of his career. I pictured former UMD guard Juan Dixon hoisting the national championship trophy a mere nine years ago. I imagined John Gilchrist carrying the Terps to the 2007 ACC title.  But most of all, I can’t get the image of the traditional “Gary Squat ‘n Shout” — his famous coaching stance — out of my head.

The news is saddening. Williams was on the verge of another breakthrough with a phenomenal recruiting class coming in, in addition to all but two returning starters. People have been speculating for the past few years during a more treacherous period filled with NCAA Tournament vacancies, that it was time to fire him, that there was no upside to keeping around a 65-year-old coach who would end up retiring. But Gary always found a way to inspire and prove us wrong, year after year.

Williams was hired after the firing of  Lefty Driesell in 1989, and leaves now with a record total of a whopping 461 wins, a Maryland all-time record. People often doubted Gary due to his inability to attract the top-notch recruits of the DC/Baltimore area. Carmelo Anthony? Syracuse. Nolan Smith? Duke. Rudy Gay? UConn. Kevin Durant? Texas, and the list goes on. But what Gary proved by straying away from big names, was that he could make a team out of just about anyone. He preferred to go for the less-touted players, because most of the time they were more coachable, more open to advice. His ability to develop players of any skill level is what distinguishes him from the rest of the pack.

Top-tier coaches like Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski and UConn’s Jim Calhoun always had the best recruits coming to play for them. Gary would have none of that. Gary wanted a championship, and he got one. Of the 2002 National Champion roster, only two players remain in the NBA (Steve Blake, and Chris Wilcox — in minor roles), while the other two are playing in Europe. None of them were highly recruited coming out of high school, yet thanks to Williams two went on to become first round draft picks in the NBA. Williams reputation is one of undoubtable praise and recognition, tainted by nothing, and defined by irrefutable skills as a developing coach. His name will ring synonymous with Maryland Basketball for years to come.

Williams was involved in the hiring of new coach Mark Turgeon of Texas A&M. Turgeon has led the Aggies to the past four NCAA tournaments and was a finalist for the Big 12 Coach of the Year award. Turgeon has some success in recruiting the D.C. area, most notably Naji Hibbert of DeMatha two years ago. His ability to spot key talent is going to play a major  role in whether or not the fans take a liking to him. He played point guard at Kansas University, and is defined by most as a guard-coach. This should be good news for returning Terps, Terrell Stoglin and Pe’shon Howard who will benefit greatly from a coach with playing experience.

0
0