WJ Student with Down Syndrome Fights for the Rights of the Disabled

Jamie Veerhof, center, after a meeting with Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Marylands 8th Congressional District about the rights of the disabled. (Veerhof family)
Jamie Veerhof, center, after a meeting with Rep. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland’s 8th Congressional District about the rights of the disabled. (Veerhof family)

Al Veerhof, along with his son, WJ student Jamie Veerhof, 19, is seeking to amend part of the ABLE (Achieve a Better Life Experience) Act.

Currently, the bill states that anyone who has more than $2,000 in assets cannot receive more than $2,000 from ABLE Act cash reserve payments. These payments cover everything from education to health care for people with disabilities, like Jamie, who has Down’s syndrome.

“Because [Jamie] is disabled and over 18, he is considered an ‘adult child,’” Al Veerhof said. “He is a disabled adult who is dependent on an adult receiving Social Security. He is assumed to be independent.”

The Veerhofs want to have assets up to $50,000 as a personal safety net that is not income, and can be built up over time.

“The fact that there’s a cap in place is extremely frustrating,” said Veerhof. “This is something that the federal government has to handle. We’re aiming at the federal government right now.”

The Veerhofs were motivated to push for this change because Jamie is going to Montgomery College, and $2,000 is not enough to cover any unforeseeable expenses that he may need while living away from his parents.

In order to challenge the portion of the bill, Jamie himself spoke to Congressman Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) and to the staff of the Maryland State Delegates.

Al Veerhof hopes that the revision will move through Congress.

“Down’s syndrome aid has support from the most liberal Democrats to the most conservative Republicans,” he said.

Jamie’s lobbying has put pressure on members of Congress to act in amending the bill and protecting the rights of the disabled. Currently, the bill is being discussed in the House Ways and Means Committee, which deals with finance and budgeting, and the House Subcommittee on Health, as well as the Senate Finance Committee. A vote on the bill has not yet been scheduled.

0
0