PBS Talks Politics With WJ Debaters

Christina Bellantoni talks with members of the debate team on the role of media in everyday life.
Photo by Chizobam Nwagwu

The best way to learn about politics is to learn from those who study it on a daily basis. On Oct. 8, the debate team hosted Christina Bellantoni, a PBS NewsHour Political editor who spoke to students on media and politics.

According to debate coach, Rusty McCrady, Bellantoni was invited because of her speaking style and her experience with media. She spoke of her childhood in San Jose, CA, particularly on how she was not raised in a political environment . She discussed how writing and literature were passions she in which she explored during high school and up until her time at UC Berkley. It was her college political science course that was the deciding factor in her decision to seriously pursue journalism and cover political issues.

Her presentation centered on the importance of media and the changing nature of politics. For members of the debate team, this experience set her apart  from past speakers.

“It was less about the technical aspects of speaking and more about the actual nitty-gritty [details] of politics, which I found very interesting and unlike anything we’ve [heard] before,” said senior Ty Belt.

She also touched on the significance of political transparency and negative connotations.

“A lot of it is processed and a lot of it the American people don’t understand,” said Bellantoni.

Additionally, she answered questions from students, who mostly inquired about the circumstances surrounding the government shutdown and the  funding of the Affordable Care Act. Afterward, Bellantoni distributed her business cards and spent additional time talking with students individually.

“I was certainly pleased that Christina Bellantoni, who is in great demand as a speaker and guest on talk shows, was willing to come out to WJ to share her thoughts, experiences and wisdom,” McCrady said. “I hope the students got something out of seeing her speak in person.”

0
0