First-year head coach Christina Fitzpatrick opens the door for success

Photo courtesy of WJ Athletics
Christina Fitzpatrick is the new 2023 girls’ varsity lacrosse head coach. With some years of coaching experience under her belt she hopes for a successful and enjoyable season. It is her first year at WJ and she cannot wait to make it a memorable one with the girls.

WJ girls lacrosse welcomes new coach, Christina Fitzpatrick, with open arms for the 2023 season. Ending the season last year with a loss to BCC, the team is hoping for a bright season ahead with a championship on their mind. With the passion and determination Fitzpatrick brings, everyone is ready to get the spring season up and running.

Fitzpatrick started playing lacrosse in the sixth grade and played through her college years. She isn’t new to the coaching scene. Fitzpatrick started her coaching days back in college as a part time job coach working with middle schoolers. Eventually when she got her teaching position, she started coaching at the JV level and eventually the varsity level. With it being her first year at WJ she will make her Wildcat coaching debut this spring.

“I have been coaching soccer at North Bethesda, the school I came from. I really enjoy coaching where I teach so that I can build meaningful relationships with students outside of the classroom,” Fitzpatrick said.

With being a new teacher and coach comes many different aspects. One thing she made clear is being excited to make meaningful connections. She thinks that being on a team isn’t only about what you give on the field but also the strength of the bond you have with your teammates.

“I am excited to bond with my teammates and get a chance to form new relationships with new players. I am eager to see how the year goes and how we grow as a team with our new coach,” junior defender Evelyn McKaig said.

Though new players and talent comes with every year of tryouts, Fitzpatrick has already been trying to connect with the girls. She has had the pleasure of watching videos from last year as well as having winter league, which really can highlight the girls skills.

“We have two senior captains Liv and Ellie who have been instrumental in preparing the team this offseason. They are getting the girls together several times a week to work on stick skills and conditioning. We are also working in the weight room once a week open to all girls athletes,” Fitzpatrick said.

Though it is always exciting going into a new season, that doesn’t mean there are no reservations. With being such a respected program and having so much talent, the tryout process can be very competitive which forces the coach to make cuts. Being in that position is hard for any person especially when dealing with such talented girls. Even though this is in Fitzpatrick’s head, she always tries to keep a positive outlook on what the team can achieve.

One of my club coaches always said that they could never guarantee we were going to be the most talented team but we can always guarantee we will be the most conditioned. I love that sentiment and the idea that if we are able to control the things we have the ability to control we will be successful.

— Christina Fitzpatrick

This season can always bring a lot of ups and downs that no one can be prepared for though Fitzpatrick is keeping a good outlook and already getting in the headspace. She can’t wait to connect with the rest of the returning players and see what she can offer to make this season memorable.

“I am excited to see where Miss Fitzpatrick can take us and if we can achieve more than we have in the past,” junior defender Anna Zucconi said.

1
0