Are extracurriculars too extra?

Are extracurriculars too extra?

High school students are constantly going through stress as they try to prepare themselves as much as they can for the next four years in college. As many people know, grades are one of the most important factors in getting accepted to college, but colleges also look for a well-rounded student who participates in a variety of extracurricular activities. Does the emphasis on extracurriculars add too much stress to already hard working students?

Extracurriculars are not “too extra”. It is the choice of the student whether or not to participate in extracurricular activities. No one is forcing them to do anything. Many students push themselves to the limit, staying after school for hours and working late into the night, but the majority of students only take part in the activities that they truly enjoy. There are countless activities that students have the opportunity to participate in and add to their “well-roundedness”.

As many know, sports and homework alone take up the majority of a student’s time. Adding more extracurriculars to this already busy schedule might overwhelm the student. It is important that students understand how to balance their school life with their sports and social life. If the student does not submerge themselves into so many extracurriculars that they are not able to keep up, then extracurriculars can be healthy and beneficial for the student.

Personally, I am taking four AP classes, which takes up most of my time, but I am also in Key Club, play on the lacrosse team, am a founder of Club P.R.O.V.I.D.E., write for the Pitch, serve on the jury for teen court and occasionally help out my community while getting SSL hours. These activities are not “too much” for me because I manage my time well and only choose to participate in activities that I thoroughly enjoy.

As long as the student likes their extracurriculars and doesn’t spread themselves too thin, then I believe extracurriculars can be a wonderful aspect of the high school life, allowing students to express their out of school interests. Colleges looking at the lives of these students will see that they can handle not only school, but sports, clubs and community service hours as well, and will notice that they are hardworking and determined.

[playbuzz-item url=”//www.playbuzz.com/thepitchonline10/what-is-your-favorite-extracurricular-activity”]

0
0