The Best of Metro D.C. Cupcakes

Although cakes have, been and will continue to be a popular sweet treat choice, over the past few years, cupcakes have become increasingly popular. Television shows such as “The Cupcake Girls,” “DC Cupakes” and “Cupcake Wars” have only amplified this, and have sparked a renewed popularity in these mini cakes. The D.C. metropolitan area has multiple cupcake stores and bakeries, but we chose to sample four bakeries in areas easily accessible to students by public transportation. The following are ranked based on cupcake appearance, overall taste and cake moisture, flavor variety, price, location of store and store atmosphere.

1. Fancy Cakes by Leslie

4939 Elm St.

(301) 652-9390

Neighborhood: Downtown Bethesda

Nearest Public Transportation: Bethesda Metro Station (Red line) or J2, 3, 4, 7 or 9 Metrobuses at Bethesda Transfer Station.

Approximated Walk: 10 minutes or less

Price: $$$ (starts at $3.25 per cupcake, most are more)

Located near Bethesda Row, Fancy Cakes by Leslie is a perfect place to satisfy your cravings. The bakery is small, albeit cozy and the friendly staff is quick to recommend their favorites. As suggested by the name, Leslie’s actually specializes in gourmet special occasion cakes. But they also have many other bakery goods, including cupcakes, cookies and brownies. Each cupcake is certainly “fancy”; with either a candy-decoration or edible glitter on the frosting. A few of Leslie’s cupcake also have surprises on the inside, such as the white cake with raspberry buttercream frosting cupcake, which has a raspberry preserve filling. The cupcakes are fresh and moist, and unlike some other bakeries, Leslie’s tends to have a lighter, less creamy frosting. However, while Leslie’s provides intricately decorated and delicious cupcakes, they cost a pretty penny at over $3 each (prices start at $3.25, but most are more). The cupcakes tend to be very messy, and tend to fall apart. There is also limited seating in the store, as the tables set up are primarily for customers discussing their special cake designs.

2. Larry’s Homemade Cupcakes and Ice Cream

1633 Connecticut Ave NW.

(202) 234-2690

http://larryshomemade.blogspot.com/

Neighborhood: Dupont Circle (Washington D.C.)

Nearest Public Transportation: Dupont Circle Metro Station (Red line, six stops from Bethesda Metro Station or seven from Medical Center going towards Silver Spring/Glenmont).

Approximated Walk: 5 minutes from Metro Station

Price: $$-$$$ ($3 per cupcake)

A relatively short walk from the Metro station, Larry’s Homemade Cupcakes and Ice Cream is reminiscent of a 1960s diner. Located underground in a small pocket on a large row of shops and restaurants, Larry’s is easy to miss if you don’t know it’s there, or if you’re not familiar with the area. But once you walk in the door, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the black and white tile and vintage-esque furniture and the sweet bakery smell. Although the variety isn’t as great as any of the other bakeries, the cupcake flavors they do have are definitely crowd favorites. For example, there are two or three different types of red velvet cupcakes, from the original cream-cheese frosting to a chocolate ganache version. Like Leslie’s, Larry’s also has fillings in select cupcakes. The cakes are moist, and the frosting is right in between fluffy (Leslie’s) and heavy (Georgetown). However, if you are seeking “gourmet” cupcake, one of the other bakeries would probably be best. Like Hello, the cupcakes are not ugly, but Leslie’s and Georgetown certainly have a leg up on aesthetic appeal.  Each cupcake is $3, more than Georgetown but less than Leslie’s and Hello. Because Larry’s is not as well known as the other stores, they tend to have fewer customers and fewer lines, which is nice. They also have more seating in the store than some of the others.

3. Georgetown Cupcake (Bethesda)

4834 Bethesda Ave.

(301) 907-8900

Neighborhood: Downtown Bethesda

Approximated Walk: 10 minutes or less

Price: $$ ($2.75 each)

Across Bethesda Row (a five minute walk from Leslie’s) is Georgetown Cupcake, a cupcake mini-corporation made known by TLC’s reality show “DC Cupcakes.” Although the show focuses on the Georgetown branch, the Bethesda store has most certainly benefited from the publicity, and as a result, one should expect to wait in a line that may take up to 30 minutes at a peak time (think weekends during the evening). Although the store is small, it doesn’t have quite the personal feel that Leslie’s does. Each cupcake looks exactly the same as the one next to it, frosting swirl and all. The workers, although friendly and helpful, are served with the task of helping the long line of people and therefore cannot always be of assistance. However, the variety of cupcake flavors is quite expansive. Georgetown Cupcake has a list of cupcakes they have available everyday, in addition to special cupcakes that are available on a daily basis and seasonal cupcakes. Cupcakes may also be available by special order. The cake itself is quite moist, though the heavy load of frosting makes the entire cupcake a very dense and filling snack. Unlike Larry’s and Leslie’s, the frosting is very thick, creamy and heavy. Overall, the cupcakes are very rich and tasty, and are a better deal than other bakeries. But it may not be worth the wait in line.

4. Hello Cupcake

1351 Connecticut Ave NW.

(202) 861-2253

Neighborhood: Dupont Circle

Approximated Walk: 5 minutes or less from Metro Station

Price: $$$ (over $3 per cupcake)

Just minutes away from the Metro station is Hello Cupcake, a bright and bubbly cupcake bakery located on a strip of stores and restaurants. Like Georgetown, Hello has a contemporary feel to the store itself. Though not as well known as Georgetown, Hello is also a well established cupcake brand and bakery in the Washington D.C. area. Hello also has the most in-store seating and cupcake variety of each of the bakeries, and is probably the most accessible from its respective transportation stop. The cupcake flavors are very unique and different from any of the other bakeries. Some of these flavors include Margarita, Peppermint Penny, Tiramisu and Pink Lemonade. However, the quality of the cupcakes does not compare to the other bakeries in the slightest. While the others had fresh cupcakes, Hello’s cupcakes seemed to be older, perhaps having been out on the counter for many hours. Instead of being soft or creamy, the frosting is slightly hardened on the outside, and the cake inside is slightly drier than it should be. The cupcakes are decorated, although not as intricately as Leslie’s or as precise as Georgetown. Comparable to Leslie’s at over $3 each, these cakes are not cheap. And unfortunately, they aren’t worth the high price.

0
0