Students prepare for spring pep rally

Teams line up and prepare for their turn to speak in front of the school and present their team. Each spring team gets to talk about their seniors and share information of their upcoming game schedule. (Seyun Park)

With the spring season just beginning, WJ hosted its annual pep rally for the student body on Friday, March 15. Spring sports teams get to show out and get the students excited and spirited for their upcoming season. With music from school bands and performances from the traditional senior amateur Poms, there is lots to look forward to.

Planning each team’s theme and overall presentation usually falls on the senior captains of each team. They work with each other to pick something festive that the team likes. During the pep rally, the captain introduces all the seniors on the team to the audience and talks about their first game to rally supporters for their home opener.

“I am a part of boys’ lacrosse. It is such a good way for everyone to meet the players and get a feel for the team’s energy. It feels great to be a leader on the team and make these decisions,” senior Jonah Levy said.

As incoming students, many have heard about the pep rallies and their traditions at WJ. Incoming athletes look forward to being included in such an awesome tradition that really brings the school together. While many freshmen athletes are nervous to be on such a big stage, it truly makes them feel a part of the team and like they have a place here at WJ.

“Being a freshman that made varsity lacrosse makes me feel spirited and connected to the school. Especially it being my first year, I am really excited to be a part of something that I have been hearing about for so long,” freshman Julia Zucconi said.

One of the biggest aspects of the pep rally is the performance from the senior amateur poms. This is where seniors have the opportunity to dress up in the dance team’s uniforms and perform a dance to trendy, upbeat pop music. It never fails to get the whole student body on their feet and cheering.

“It feels good that this WJ tradition is still a thing because it shows how cool our school is and it shows how much guys are comfortable with their sexuality. It is so awesome to see it uplift people and just overall make people laugh,” senior Sid Scale said.

0
0