Student to teacher

WJ alumni and current teacher, Laura Brager, poses with friends who she went to school with. Brager graduated in 2009 and returned to teach at WJ years later. (Courtesy Laura Brager)

The concept of high school itself is very bizarre. Four years during which you’re expected to find out who you are and what you want to do for the rest of your life. All while you’re only the ripe ages of 15 to 18. Whether this experience is exciting, enjoyable, scary or miserable, it is an opinion that differs from person to person. Despite their varying experiences and thoughts on high school, some of WJ’s previous students have chosen to return to Bethesda where they get to experience high school again, but this time as a teacher.

The primary motives for not only becoming a teacher, but specifically returning to WJ to teach certainly vary for each teacher, but the roots ultimately come from each individual’s experience in high school.

“I think a lot of teachers are motivated to become teachers because they either really liked or [really] hated high school. I really liked my experience at WJ and the connections I had with both the students and teachers so when I was given an opportunity to come back and potentially contribute to other students’ experience, I simply couldn’t turn it down,” WJ alumni and math teacher Laura Brager said.

Though WJ has certainly changed over the years, many of the WJ staff members have stayed the same, meaning that they now get to work alongside some of their old students. This unique relationship that is shared amongst numerous staff members is something that greatly impacts the teaching experience for alumni.

“Adjusting from seeing my old teachers as authority figures to seeing them as colleagues was very difficult and bizarre at first, but seeing them in different lights has allowed me to connect with them better and has definitely improved my experience as a teacher,” Brager said.

This connection among staff members at WJ is one of the key details that contributes to the unique array of people at WJ.

“I mainly want to go into elementary school education, but if I were to get an opportunity to teach at WJ in the future I’ll likely take it. I really love this school and a lot of the people in it and hope that I can continue to contribute to the community in the future.” junior Maddie Elgin said.

0
0