Promposals spark excitements

William Murphy
Senior Sidney Scale promposes during the spring pep rally to his girlfriend after the male pops performance. “I was really surprised and kind of like nervous but it ended up being really good so I’m grateful,” senior Maria Goergen Alvarez said.

As the year comes to an end, seniors have many events to look forward to before their graduation, but there is one that outshines them all: Prom, with its long unforgettable gowns and formal, traditional tuxedos. Using blank poster boards and sparkly decorations, many seniors pull out their arts and crafts skills to prepare for their official proposition: the promposal.

Many seniors use this time of year to prepare for how they want to ask someone to go with them to Prom. Usually, it consists of a poster with a personal slogan, inside joke or just something cute. There are many different ways someone could execute a promposal, with some individuals preferring to make it a big event while others keep it more intimate and personal.

Big promposals are a huge aspect of school culture and what many people dream of experiencing. School events, like the seasonal pep rally, are the perfect opportunity to make a big entrance and prompose to someone. SGA president Sidney Scale took advantage of this opportunity to make his girlfriend feel a little extra special.

“So after the male Poms performance, either there’s gonna be a big sign that says Prom or someone’s belly is going to spell Prom or whatever. I don’t know how we’re going to do it but [definitely] after the male Poms performance,” Scale said.

A huge proposal doesn’t just bring attention but also gives the receiving person a special and romantic feeling. But, this feeling isn’t just reserved for the biggest promposal. Many couples prefer to keep it much more intimate and keep it between the pair. A great example of this would be senior Lara Pauw, who decided to keep the special moment between her and her partner.

“Probably not going to do a huge proposal. I just kinda assumed we’re going together […] but, I think it can be fun, but it also puts a lot of pressure on people if they feel like they have to,” Pauw said.

Being on the receiving end of the proposal is also a surreal experience. Seeing the person you have been waiting for stand up in front of a huge crowd with a poster referencing your most personal attributes is a memorable experience. The excitement and dopamine rush also pops up from wanting to match with your date and rushing to find the perfect outfit to make the night even more unforgettable.

“Yeah I think they’re worth it. I think they’re cute, and I think that it makes you feel special when you get proposed to. Yeah, I’m really excited for Prom, this will be my first one so I’m excited to find new dresses,” junior Ella Hoban said.

3
0