Career of the Week: Genetic Counselor

Barbara Biesecker is a genetic counselor and currently directs a graduate program in genetic counseling at the National Institute of Health and Johns Hopkins School of Public Health.

1.       Can you describe your career?
My professional training is in genetic counseling, which aims to help families understand and adapt to genetic conditions or risks.  It involves the application of science and compassion for others. My career has evolved to include social science research related to how people make decisions to have genetic testing and how they use the information gained and how people adapt to genetic conditions when they or their children are affected.

2.       What made you choose your job?
As a biology major in college, I loved the science but I did not love conducting laboratory experiments.  I was interested in what the science meant for people. Once I took a genetics class, which explained disease occurrence and could help people make sense of the unexpected, I knew that I wanted to find a career in the field.  One of my professors handed me a New York Times article on a newly-established profession called genetic counseling. From then on, I knew what I wanted to do.

3.       How long have you been a Genetic Counselor?
Thirty years.

4.       When did you realize this was the career path you were going to take?
The end of my sophomore year in college.

5.       What type of education did you receive?
A masters of science degree in human genetics, with an emphasis on counseling. Currently I am a doctoral candidate in health psychology anticipating my defense on March 30.

6.       Describe a typical day at work.
What I love about my job is that no day is typical.  I teach classes, advise students on their research, conduct my own research, mentor my employees, attend meetings, travel to conferences to learn and present my data and counsel patients and their families.  I love the variety of stimulating activities.

7.       What is your favorite part of the job?
Taking care of patients, even though it is a small part of my job now, has always been my favorite. Teaching bright and talented graduate students is my next favorite.  It’s a privilege.

8.       What is your least favorite part of the job?
There are too many meetings, administrative details and required on-line certification courses when you work in the federal government.  Both limit my time doing what is most important, science and teaching.

9.       If you could go back in time, what would you have done differently?
I’d do it all again.  I love how the profession continues to evolve.  For students entering now, they face the incoming era of personalized medicine and the application of human genome sequencing.  It’s a very exciting time.

10.     Is there anything else about your career that you would like to share?
No matter what you choose to do for your career, it should fit your skills and interests.  Everyone should be able to get up in the morning and look forward to their work.  I am grateful to have found that contentment in genetic counseling.

0
0