Top Five World News Events: Feb. 28 – March 6

Top Five World News Events: Feb. 28 - March 6
  1. Compromise sought in Bahrain. A key government opposition leader in Bahrain suggested a compromise on March 5, namely, that peace would be made only if the royal family made serious concessions toward democracy. If and when this compromise is made and enforced, the royal family will be allowed to retain power; otherwise, the search for new possible leaders will continue.
  2. Japanese foreign minister resigns. After breaking Japanese law by accepting a political donation from a foreigner, Foreign Minister Seiji Maehara announced on March 6 his plans to resign from his position, a title he has worn for only six months. This controversy has proved to be yet another blow to public approval ratings of Prime Minister Naoto Kan’s administration.
  3. Lebanon joins unrest in Middle East. Lebanon’s feuding between the country’s political and religious factions makes it so there is technically no government to rebel against. That didn’t stop protestors from flooding the country’s streets on Feb. 28 to demand the upheaval of Lebanon’s long-lived and ineffectual sectarian system.
  4. Suspect comes clean about killing U.S. airmen. A man suspected of shooting and killing two U.S. airmen at a German airport on March 2 allegedly confessed his guilt, telling authorities that he acted on his own and intentionally targeted the two airmen. Possible links to terrorism are being investigated.
  5. Head of London School of Economics resigns. After advising the school to accept a donation from a charity run by Col. Moammar Gaddafi’s son and political heir, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, and causing a controversial stir, Howard Davies accepted “responsibility for two errors of judgment” and resigned from his position as head of the London School of Economics.

All information gathered from WashingtonPost.com.

0
0