Julia Ratner’s senior reflection

Photo courtesy of Lifetouch

The summer going into my freshman year at Walter Johnson was not a pleasant one. I continuously bothered my parents about switching schools. Walter Johnson was the last place I wanted to be. Now, facing the summer after my senior year, I’m tearing up at the thought of leaving and how much my life has changed throughout these four years.
There were two things that helped me survive high school. The Pitch and my friends. Though, it wasn’t until my junior year that I joined the Pitch. I think that’s the biggest regret of my high school career–not joining earlier. The first day I was assigned a seat next to Lizzie Kotlove. A girl I had blocked on every social media platform since the 7th grade. I was not happy. By the end of the first semester, we were great friends. She’s one of my closest friends today and that would not have happened if it weren’t for the Pitch.
I always felt safe in room 193 and I have Mrs. Borrelli to thank for that. I could be myself. I had found my passion and my people. Press couldn’t come soon enough, and when it did, my smile never left my face. Whether it was Seyun and I fighting constantly, Josh having to break it up, Baxter and I making paninis while everyone else was scrambling around in the last hour figuring out which text size was correct, there was never a dull moment with these people and I loved every minute of it. The Pitch introduced me to people I may not have met but I’m so grateful it did.
My best friends Liv, Sage, Eva, Ava, and Natalie are the reason I was able to make it out of high school alive. There were fights and hardships that come with any friendship but we always stuck together no matter what. Every time I’ve needed them they’ve been there even if it meant another attendance call to their parents. That’s love! The thought of not seeing them everyday is unimaginable. I could go on for hours with funny stories from the four years we’ve spent together behind the double green doors. We’ve grown up together and they have shaped me into the person I am today.
Walter Johnson the building didn’t have a huge impact on me, but the people inside sure did. I’m going to miss the friends, teammates, and teachers who changed my life and changed who I am today. To those people I say,
“Anyways, don’t be a stranger”-Phoebe Bridgers.

0
0