• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Cecilia Saltzman’s Senior Reflection

Courtesy Lifetouch

Four years ago, I never thought that I’d be writing a senior reflection for The Pitch. Writing for the newspaper was always my sister’s thing, and to be different from her, I signed up for Yearbook. When the yearbook class was full, I reluctantly switched to Journalism, which led me to discover my favorite part of Walter Johnson.

Immediately upon entering Room 193, I understood why my sister would go on and on about Pitch. Soon, I did the same, ranting to my friends and family about it. Of course, I became a stronger writer, but more importantly, I grew as a person. Pitch allowed me to branch out from my shy, Covid-isolated personality. I became friends with people of all interests and ages and talked to people I never would have before joining.

It all fell into place when I was working on my first spread. I was so nervous to work on such a special piece of the newspaper, but the more experienced staff members and Mrs. Borrelli gave me the confidence to produce a spread I was proud of. After that, spreads became my “thing” and the Pitch staff became my family.

Pitch is, and has been, without a doubt, my favorite class. From talking with Mrs. Borrelli, getting advice (and sometimes gossip) from older students, working late to finish the spread, and constantly nagging the class about deadlines, I found my safe space. It didn’t matter how hard or stressful my other classes were; Pitch was always there.

None of this would have been possible without Mrs. Borrelli. Her leadership empowered me to express my creativity and personality. I mean, what other teacher would let me make and eat a Chamoy pickle kit in the middle of class? So, thank you to The Pitch and Mrs. Borrelli for everything. I am so excited to see what the future brings because none of it would have been possible without my home in Room 193.

1
0